Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:27 PM
<----Zenith C845

Back around 1975 or so, I had a Grundig model 2168 that I got from an old friend. The radio worked, but the cabinet was in bad shape; a corner was broken off the speaker mounting board, the dial scale and knobs were missing, the EM84 tuning eye was flopping around loose in the cabinet, and I think two of the three speakers were missing as well (there were two speaker grilles at either end of the cabinet). I replaced the missing knobs with two matching knobs I had in my junk box and made a wooden replacement for the glass dial scale, as well as replacing the FM dial drive with a length of plastic tubing attached to the tuner shaft, extending from a hole in the lower right side of the cabinet.

The condition of the cabinet and speaker mounting panel notwithstanding, however, I hooked up an old Webcor mono reel-to-reel tape deck to the 5-pin DIN connector at the rear of the chassis and wound up with a nice, albeit oldish, mono audio system (the Webcor RtoR tape recorder was from the 1950s and was a thrift-store find). Worked and sounded great as long as it lasted. I finally got rid of the Grundig in the early 1980s when the FM tuner quit. I should have kept it. That set probably would be a classic today; it was an example of fine German workmanship not seen in today's American electronics and appliances since the '50s-'60s or so.

BTW, is Grundig still around in Germany, making their own electronics under their own name, or did they outsource their manufacturing to some other country, so that the Grundig radios and such available today are simply rebadged Japanese or Korean-made junk that won't last more than a year or two, if that long?

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Shaken, not stirred

I've been a fan of German audio for a long time, and can understand the attraction.

Most any of the big, multi-speaker, high tube-count table sets from Grundig, Saba, Telefunken, -even Blaupunkt- should return a nice tone if properly serviced. Aim for the US import models, designed to run on 115v. Some have output transformer switches for US and Euro use. I found my EMUD in Germany and it was a US import! Someday, I'll see what it's all about but life is the stuff that happens when you're making other plans...

For me, the main attraction has always been those glossy, hardwood cabinets. Probably even more than the audio fidelity, and while I'm admitting, those push-button switches the Germans were so fond of can be a real PITA. That said, I haven't seen any of them that sounded better than say, a Kloss Model Two or a proper 8-tube Zenith. I like 'em and want more, and that includes some of the very fine solid state stereos that came out of Europe in the 1970s. Still, for pure listening enjoyment, its hard to beat the tubies that came from the good old USA-
Home desk: Zenith X338 / H272W Circle of Sound
Truck: Kraco Dust-O-Matic, circa 1977
Old 11-25-2007, 11:52 PM
AK Member

Just checking things out on this thread. My aunt which is full german and 72 years of age has a very beautiful and i mean beautiful damn near perfect console stereo . I was over her place the other day and asked her did it work and she says no, that it needed these tubes replaced . So i would assume its all tube? I dont have the name of the console but i did look at it for a minute . Its about 4 ft long and 3 ft tall. Has very skinny legs about 4 inches tall and is a very nice dark walnut finish. The 2 glass doors are at the top of the front panel and slide side to side to gain access to the turntable on the left and the tuner on the right which has all german lettering on it. The 2 glass doors have a diamond pattern (gold) enlay on them .There is storage under the TT and Tuner with there own doors ( very solid and heavy). This is a very beautiful piece. Can anyone point me in the right direction to where i might be able to find something on this . She thinks it could be as old as 80+ years. She did say when it played it sounds so warm and beautiful. I would like to get this up and going for her . Plus she says one day it will be mine. Thanks for any help
Old 11-26-2007, 10:07 AM
AK Member

There are several common German consoles but if I were to guess I would say it is probably a Grundig. You will need to get the make and model to get more information on servicing it. Often it is not the tubes that have failed though. If you can get the make and model you can search www.radiomuseum.org for more info. Another option might be to peruse ebay germany and look at some consoles and see if you can identify it visually.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:57 PM
AK Member

I called my aunt the only thing she could see was that it is a Grundig some #s she could see are (8021L) (2X7V01A) 50H60W HF KONZERT GERAT. I will have to get over there soon and look my self its hard for her to see anything on the back side of the unit. Ill keep you updated with what i find. I did lok at ebay ( germany) and found notrhing that looks like hers. Also the radiomuseum i couldnt find to many pics to look at? Thanks
Old 11-27-2007, 08:14 AM
AK Member

Funny thing is that most of the radios on radio museum that reference Konzertgerat are table models. The model number of 8021L seems to date to around 1965/66 though.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:39 AM
AK Member

So that is the model #? Grundig 8021L If so where can i find this so i can look at it ? thanks this is a console with tuner and turntable only and 2 storage places underneath Very beautiful piece any estimate of what this might be worth
Old 12-01-2007, 04:00 PM
AK Member

Grundig 6021 L pics

I went to my aunts house to look at her Grundig this is what i found and it plays . Sound is good but push buttons need cleaned (static).. Has a nice warm rich sound . Looking through the back it has what looks like 6x9s on each side. I cant find any imfo on this and she seems to think its over 70 years old ? All tubes did light up and both channels work. If i can get the tuning selector (dial) to work she would be happy . I had to go inside and manualy turn the selector because the string just slpis. I think its just tough to turn do to not being used for so many years . Any help wouold be appreciated Thanks Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2005-07-01 00-02-43_0013.JPG (159.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 2005-07-01 00-07-58_0022.JPG (155.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 2005-07-01 00-04-08_0016.JPG (170.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 2005-07-01 00-04-59_0008.JPG (144.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 2005-07-01 00-06-16_0021.JPG (168.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 12-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Hillbilly DeLuxe

I recently had the privilige of restoring my Dad's Grundig Majestic. It's a huge table top running a single EL84 for the output. The speakers project into a sound chamber of sorts (like an antique Bose wave), and it sounds very good. I added RCA jacks for a CD player discreetly in the back, which really revealed how good the amp and speakers are.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:22 PM
AK Member

Chris that looks like a nice console and I bet it sounds good. If no one here can offer any assistance on the dial string you could try the antique radio forum. There are several guys who are very good with these old German radios.

I have a Grundig Majestic table top too and it sounds sweet!
Audiokarma
Old 11-27-2007, 12:51 PM
AK Member

It would remain in the family, i know her and my uncle brought it back from Germany in 66 or so. I would never get rid of it , just curiuos of the value. I will get over to her place soon and take some pics . I should have 1 or 2 posted within the week . Thanks again
Old 11-27-2007, 02:56 PM
“veni, vidi, vici.”

Telefunken Gavotte 8 export. I loved mine the first time it was switched on. Electro tweets aswell. Given time to warm up sounds superb.Still with origenal valves. Im dreading the day the BBC switches off FM!!!!
Old 11-28-2008, 08:34 AM
AK Member

Depends what amount you want to invest.

Freiburg are the top models of Saba, a Freiburg 100 or more rare a Freiburg 14.
They are the top of the Saba Models and have really a great Sound.
Also the first real Stereo Models like Tannhaeuser or the Grundig 5... Models are
really very good. They have a crystal clear sound.

If your interested in the 50s round style, as example a Neckermann Koerting.
The Syntektor models, they was the biggest 50s radios with a very fine technics
inside. Graetz is also good, but depends really how much you would like to invest. You have to look if minimum the capacitors are replaced ( i say it for all sellers, not because we sell these radios) the old wima and ero capacitors are mostly to 90% wet, burned or simply lost capacity.
Its nessesary that the seller or you replace them with the correct ones.
Also Elkos!! if they are not in good condition anymore they have to be replaced.

Hope that info could help a bit.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:31 AM
DTV blows

This is just the thread I needed... and didn't see until now! Thanks, guys.
Tom
Old 01-07-2009, 04:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I bought a 1960-ish Saba 125 Stereo Frieburg from a house clearance shop a few years ago--its a monster! about 16-17 valves and motorised tuning, on FM it sounds stunning through its 5 speaker system. Truly the King of valve technology.....I also have a Blaupunkt Nizza tabletop that sounds superb. The German sets were much better than the U.K. made stuff of the time........................
Audiokarma