Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2013, 09:59 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
From Frank Günthör's tiny TV website:
That's good enough for me... Thank you for the link; Splash it is!

Quote:
I've a lot of dead LCD sets. One day they worked, next time you put batteries in to try them out they are completely dead.

Mostly bad caps I suppose. Now that we've had the digital revolution, I don't much care to spend the time to fix them.

I wouldn't be surprised if half of mine are dead, as some of them I never tried even after buying them on eBay. I buy for physical condition; preferably "new in box", and don't care too much about working condition as long as there's nothing progressive going on such as leaky "cat piss" caps (the stinky surface mount 'lytics from the late 80s and mid 90s), which will eat through the foil on the boards.

My Indextron was "new in box", and I tried it once and it works fine (photos I posted here several years ago), but will never try again unless I completely recap it. Those are notorious for leaky caps causing an impossible-to-get regulator chip to blow.

Quote:
I just sold a pair of KVX-370 Indextrons (one in box) for under $300 earlier this month. Sold them at the Illinois ARCI meet. There was no real interest earlier for them at the ETF meet, other than a few curious people. I've still got plenty of those Panasonic CT-101 sets left, most of which have bad cases due to the very brittle plastic they used.
I have a CT-101 still with good plastic, and one "new in the box" all crumbly. I don't know what exactly is causing the deterioration of the plastic, but the Sony 20"-32" sets from the late 80s started doing that, and I lost a couple of them by picking them up, and the CRT and board just crashed out onto the floor; leaving me holding pieces of powdery plastic!

As far as the pricing I mention here & there, I don't mean to offend anyone by quoting what I pay or sell TVs for. I'm sure there are people who pay way more and way less, as well as those who sell or give away, what you or I might consider a valuable item. My philosophy is that a TV (or a house, or an ounce of gold or bag of manure), is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay, and what someone is willing to sell it for; no matter of the numbers...

Charles

Last edited by kx250rider; 06-29-2013 at 10:15 AM.