Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
well all i know is my 23eg was rebuilt in 1980 and it checks out great and still looks great as well. even though these crts got a bad rap for being lousy, looks like i got a good one,lol...
The 23EGP22 earned its reputation the hard way, one crummy CRT at a time! I'm glad you got one that performs well.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Fuller View Post
The 23EGP22 earned its reputation the hard way, one crummy CRT at a time! I'm glad you got one that performs well.
I Agree with that one. I had a few Motorolas go thru my shop with dim dull pictures, and no bad tubes. Most of the time, the problems were either vertical problems, or no HV/Hz problems. I'd fix them, and they'd go back home... dim picture and all. If the customer didnt mention the dim picture specifically, I'd say nothing.

One customer had his set in a dark bedroom on top of a chest of drawers.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

well my 23egp is thankfully bright otherwise i did all the recaping for nothing as well as some resistors, lol , these tvs, they are great stuff from the past but can drive a person to drink booz that dont.....
Old 08-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Motorola Minion

Fun thread. This is exactly what made TV fun for this "accidental tech" in the mid-70's.

Crazy Color is what I call Motorola's method, now that I read the post from JDPylon explaining it.

GE had a wacky method for color as well. It seemed like Zenith took "re-inventing color demodulation" to the right level.

I still want to find one of these in the worst way....R U Making any trips south Timmy?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Fun thread. This is exactly what made TV fun for this "accidental tech" in the mid-70's.

Crazy Color is what I call Motorola's method, now that I read the post from JDPylon explaining it.

GE had a wacky method for color as well. It seemed like Zenith took "re-inventing color demodulation" to the right level.

I still want to find one of these in the worst way....R U Making any trips south Timmy?
Admiral used the same color demod circuit. So did a few other makes, including a Japanese firm.
There was another odd-ball color demod circuit, used at the end of the tube era. It used a 6MK8, or it's series string variants. Magnavox, Warwick and possibly a few others used it.
Audiokarma
Old 08-28-2012, 05:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post

am i taking any trips down south??????????????? why you like this moto?
Old 08-28-2012, 06:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

heres the latest pic of the CRAZY COLOR by motorola,lol,lol.... with the 1947 fada.........

Last edited by timmy; 01-19-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Banned

This is most beautiful ever!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Very nice cabinet.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 08-29-2012, 08:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice set. That one is older than my Motorola was.

That cabinet reminds me of a Maggie that I had once that had an unobtainable flyback... at the time... that I junked. I kept the cabinet for about a year. It was similar to yours in cherry finish. Dark... beautiful. I still think about it today.
Audiokarma
Old 08-29-2012, 08:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
heres the latest pic of the CRAZY COLOR by motorola,lol,lol.... with the 1947 fada.........
The set you have is simular to the one I had. That set has the more complex color circuit using seven or more tubes. Ets908. The last year for it.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=DavGoodlin;3046169]Fun thread. This is exactly what made TV fun for this "accidental tech" in the mid-70's.

Didn't Zenith call it " chromatic brain ".
The 14A9C50 used the round 9 pin IC. The 12A12C52 used the small PC board, with DIP IC on it.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

this 908 chassis looks complex and is a big chassis, i am more used to the rca or rather i like working on the rca chassis.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
this 908 chassis looks complex and is a big chassis, i am more used to the rca or rather i like working on the rca chassis.
It's called " familiarity ". After working on all the sets that were RCA clones. Motorola and Zenith never cloned RCA designs. They also never bought RCA chassis like many of the others, to include color sets in their product lines.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

"they are great stuff from the past but can drive a person to drink booz that dont..... "

Don't forget the smokes.
Audiokarma