Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wonder if what channel 48 (W48AV, transmitting from St Clair Shores) has done is a sign that their digital replacement will be on the air soon.

W48AV's switch to this test pattern/warning message comes from the fact that the primary transmitter that feeds it, WPXD, has changed their digital facility from RF Channel 31 in Lyndon Twp (Washtenaw Co.) to RF channel 50 in Southfield (the same pattern and warning are being sent out on channel 31 now)..

I believe if WPXD still wanted to be in analog on channel 48, they could have switched the input to the new RF 50 Southfield transmitter. However, W48AV itself was recently granted a permit to make changes to go to digital, only on channel 25, and from the same tower as their new channel 50 facility (it will likely have different programming, as having a redundant low-power transmitter from the same tower sending the same program would be pointless).

BTW, the channel 42 analog is CKCO3 in Oil Springs, Ont. It will eventually go digital as well (CTV is switching transmitters to digital on a case-by-case basis).
Old 08-13-2012, 12:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Great idea using these as transmitters
I have some Pro modulators , these have high output for Cable system drive so, yes,
they would work into a transmit antenna--perhaps a high gain array of dipoles?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mint Julep 006.jpg (116.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

I hate DTV.. I have amplified (plug in) rabbit ears hooked up and the reception is never perfect, always studder and "No Signal", and the ABC network can't be reached in most parts of the house.. On rainy and windy days the signal is really bad, and usually every week or two, I'm having to adjust the rabbit ears due to the fact the antenna looses signal in it's fixed place.. At least with the old analog, if the station wasn't perfect it was still watchable and understandable.. One thing I hate is when watching the news and you hear the news person talk and then the signal drops and you hear the last word studder and then totally missed what was said.. Awful Awful Awful...
Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVista View Post
Great idea using these as transmitters
I have some Pro modulators , these have high output for Cable system drive so, yes,
they would work into a transmit antenna--perhaps a high gain array of dipoles?
Here is my eBay search for TV channel modulators:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313

There are several UHFs listed that are tunable.

I don't suggest transmitting any further than within your house.

Cliff