Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

I hated those tube Motorola's... by far, the WORSE set of its day.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Suspect poor crimps where the wires connect to the socket pins. Ive seen this cause smear and changing grey-scale, FYI
Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
Seems like a waste after all the time and energy you put into that thing. You should just keep it and deal with it.
well it does work nice and now that i realize i had the tuning messed up its all good but it was a learning period for me and besides if someone really loves motorolas then maybe this is what they should have,lol. if no one wants it then it will stay put and ill watch it from time to time like i do already, i just like the roundies better.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:23 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
I agree, they were a challenge. I personally saw way too many Sears Color sets of that era. IMO Sears was the worst. No Wards around here.

We could have used more Admirals and Sylvanias (and fewer GE and Sears) in the late 60s, I thought they were under-rated.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
You're thinking of the small chassis, TS 914 and simular. I had the big chassis. ETS 908. I ran it for ten years, until the 23EGP22 started looking rather sick.
They were a lot better than those lousy GE's of the time.
Audiokarma
Old 08-21-2012, 05:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

My family had a 1966 or 67 Motorola. It had a color indicator... neon light... to let me know if the set was receiving color. It got 3 CRT's during the warranty. The picture would start out looking really good, then it'd get slowly darker and darker over time. When #3 tube began to die, we got a Magnavox, and never looked back. I ran the Motorola in my bedroom until it totally died.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:07 PM
sampson159

those motos were terrible!the picture was gawd awful.other than the crts,they were very good sets electronically.i had 2 of those in my basement back in the 70s.crts were strong but looked hideous.swapped out with a sylvania,(hard to get it to mount proper) but the picture was very good.used it as a spare before it got flooded.my dad saw those in the store when new and marveled at the chassis.he didnt care for the crt though
Old 08-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Motorola Minion

I had a TS 914 table model with 23EGP22 and color indicator. I do remember a rather "unreal" color picture though the CRT tested good. I always though there was a demod issue but I was used to 6GY6 circuits that RCA used , but the 6LE8 operation in Motorolas made no sense. I did like the way they were put together.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:57 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I agree, they were a challenge. I personally saw way too many Sears Color sets of that era. IMO Sears was the worst. No Wards around here.

We could have used more Admirals and Sylvanias (and fewer GE and Sears) in the late 60s, I thought they were under-rated.
I've got a 67 Airline which is basically a rectangular clone of a roundy RCA chassis. The thing was WELL kept by the previous owners and all I've had to do to it is adjustments so far.....But I do need to fix that damn open mystery value vertical centering pot soon cause since the move and purity redo I can't fill the mask while keeping decent linearity.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-23-2012, 08:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
...but the 6LE8 operation in Motorolas made no sense.
It did reduce the parts count considerably.
When new those sets put out knock-your-socks-off reds and oranges that might be considered "unreal" by comparison to other brands using standard demod layouts.
Audiokarma
Old 08-23-2012, 09:16 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
It did reduce the parts count considerably.
When new those sets put out knock-your-socks-off reds and oranges that might be considered "unreal" by comparison to other brands using standard demod layouts.
The problem was that the G-Y was taken off the cathode of that single tube circuit and so the greens were not as strong as they should be by comparison to the reds and blues.

The explanation was posted here:
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread...ghlight=sodpil
Old 08-23-2012, 09:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

When our Moto was new, it looked so nice... but never looked good again through the next two tubes.

I loved the feature having the convergence controls on the front of the set behind the speaker!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
When our Moto was new, it looked so nice... but never looked good again through the next two tubes.

I loved the feature having the convergence controls on the front of the set behind the speaker!
I don't know if National Video rebuilt the 23EG's. Most of the new and rebuilt Motorola branded CRT's were Sylvania sourced.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I don't know if National Video rebuilt the 23EG's. Most of the new and rebuilt Motorola branded CRT's were Sylvania sourced.
All I know is that all of the replacement tubes were badged with a Motorola label. This all happened a long time ago.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

well all i know is my 23eg was rebuilt in 1980 and it checks out great and still looks great as well. even though these crts got a bad rap for being lousy, looks like i got a good one,lol...
Audiokarma