Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:28 AM
Peanut Head

Wanted to add this to the thread...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCA 45.jpg (81.5 KB, 94 views)

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Wanted to add this to the thread...

Nice ad. That's the "attachment" model without an amp that needs to be plugged into a radio. They're slightly smaller than the 9EY3.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:23 PM
Peanut Head

I know...we had one that we plugged into our Hallicrafters TV back then.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

After restoration, what tracking force is used with the Chinese ceramic cartridges? Is tripping at the end of the records reliable? How many records can be stacked?
I got less than satisfactory tripping at 4 grams... how high do I need to go? Perhaps I have missed a lubrication point somewhere
I can only stack 12 records presently, I think that the spec is 14, but not sure where I read that.

jr
Old 02-25-2018, 09:25 PM
M is for Memory

Those carts are happy at 5 grams. Is your styli jumping out of the runout groove or is the change cycle simply not kicking in?

There are a few adjustments on the 168 and 190 mechs for change trip point and setdown point, among other things...If those are off it may not work as expected. If your styli stays in the groove I'd look at the adjustments.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 02-26-2018, 10:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
I just recently restored a 6EY2 , just to be able to play the stack of 45s I've got . This is a 1955 manufactured unit that still used the Octal 12SQ7 35Z5 and 50L6 , I'd have figured by the mid 50s they would all have been the 12AV6 35W4 50C5 but maybe RCA had a few warehouses full of the Octals to use up . I bought the rubber wheel and the cartridge from Gary at Voice of music , recapped the amp , and yes indeed this little unit can really belt out a tune !
I had a little larger RCA 45 player that had an 8" speaker and a push-pull amplifier using 2 35L6s, a 35Z5 and a 12SC7. It also had a tone control.
Built around the same era!
Old 02-26-2018, 10:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
At the other end of the age spectrum is the model 7-EV-2HH, which my wife got as a birthday present in the mid to late 50s. It has "hit the bench" for a re-cap and a lube job... will need a new cartridge as well, as it has very low output.

It uses three 7 pin tubes, no octals.

Fun project!

jr
Does that thing have the original tone arm on it?
Usually, the tone arm color matched the top cap of the spindle.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

E/M... Thanks for the tips, 5 to 6 grams did the trick, it is no longer skipping on the lead out groove. I also re-adjusted the pick-up point and installed a diamond stylus... played through several boxed sets of classical music and broadway tunes last night with no skipping.

dj... Yes that is the original tone arm, the cap is not the usual red, but rather more coral in color, but indeed a poor match to the tone arm. I don't think that it has faded either, my wife remembers that it was a poor match when brand new. Several pictures found on line also exhibit a poor match... somebody color blind at RCA?

jr
Old 02-26-2018, 06:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
E/M... Thanks for the tips, 5 to 6 grams did the trick, it is no longer skipping on the lead out groove. I also re-adjusted the pick-up point and installed a diamond stylus... played through several boxed sets of classical music and broadway tunes last night with no skipping.

dj... Yes that is the original tone arm, the cap is not the usual red, but rather more coral in color, but indeed a poor match to the tone arm. I don't think that it has faded either, my wife remembers that it was a poor match when brand new. Several pictures found on line also exhibit a poor match... somebody color blind at RCA?

jr
The last model that I repaired was similar to the one pictured, with the crazy colors, was a black base with a gray speaker grill, tone arm and spindle top cap.
The cartridge was bad and the only one the RCA distributor had was the low output one. This phono had the one tube amp, 25L6 in series with the motor and the output was low. The owner wanted it back as-is.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:19 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The last model that I repaired was similar to the one pictured, with the crazy colors, was a black base with a gray speaker grill, tone arm and spindle top cap.
The cartridge was bad and the only one the RCA distributor had was the low output one. This phono had the one tube amp, 25L6 in series with the motor and the output was low. The owner wanted it back as-is.
I have a Columbia branded RP-190 like that. I didn't want to spring for a high output cart so I added IIRC a 6AT6 to the mix...Takes a long time to warm up, but has more respectable volume.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 02-26-2018, 08:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Interesting! I have a similar model (7-EY-1DJ) that is black and grey with a white cap and tone arm....also a cheap o model with only a 4 inch speaker and a 50L6 amp with 35W4 rectifier. May have to follow E/M s lead and add a pre-amp tube, if I ever restore the thing.

jr
Old 03-19-2018, 01:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Paint suggestions?

I now have on the bench a 45 EY, which is very similar to the player shown in the first post. One very visible difference is the gold painted top surface of the player, which has a couple of scratches. Any recommendations for a decent spray paint that matches color and texture and is durable?

Thanks,
jr
Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I now have on the bench a 45 EY, which is very similar to the player shown in the first post. One very visible difference is the gold painted top surface of the player, which has a couple of scratches. Any recommendations for a decent spray paint that matches color and texture and is durable?

Thanks,
jr
Maybe others can chime-in about a particular color and brand paint, but I would definitely say a brass-tone rather than gold. I would also recommend putting a few coats of semi-gloss clear for protection.
I believe your unit is the 1950 model by the way.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:15 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Interesting facts. RCA had first conceived this format and was just ready to consider it when World War II happened. Referred to as "Project X". RCA again considered launching the 45 RPM format again post WW II, and held off due to brisk 78 RPM disc sales and phono sales. Then Columbia announced the LP in 1948, offered David Sarnoff at RCA a peek, General Sarnoff was livid. And then RCA Victor embarked on a crash program to launch the 45 RPM format and the RCA Victor 45 RPM changer in 1949, a temporary war of the speeds was in full force. RCA finally gave in and announced the RCA Victor introduction of the LP Record in 1950, when Arturo Toscanini, then with his contract up for renewal, threatened to jump ship to Columbia so his recordings would not be interrupted so often for disc changes. In turn, Columbia announced their decision to issue 45 RPM discs, and the rest was history. Both formats complemented each other, and served different budgets, listening tastes, and desires. I am also an ardent admirer of the RCA 45 RPM changers, a really nifty changer design innovation, and nicely thought out and engineered.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
Interesting facts. RCA had first conceived this format and was just ready to consider it when World War II happened. Referred to as "Project X". RCA again considered launching the 45 RPM format again post WW II, and held off due to brisk 78 RPM disc sales and phono sales. Then Columbia announced the LP in 1948, offered David Sarnoff at RCA a peek, General Sarnoff was livid. And then RCA Victor embarked on a crash program to launch the 45 RPM format and the RCA Victor 45 RPM changer in 1949, a temporary war of the speeds was in full force. RCA finally gave in and announced the RCA Victor introduction of the LP Record in 1950, when Arturo Toscanini, then with his contract up for renewal, threatened to jump ship to Columbia so his recordings would not be interrupted so often for disc changes. In turn, Columbia announced their decision to issue 45 RPM discs, and the rest was history. Both formats complemented each other, and served different budgets, listening tastes, and desires. I am also an ardent admirer of the RCA 45 RPM changers, a really nifty changer design innovation, and nicely thought out and engineered.
Very interesting info. Thanks. leave it to RCA to want to be the first in everything electronic. Competition is good in business, but what the company did with Armstrong with his FM system shows it's ugly side. One thing I found with these early RCA units is the early 45's (pre-1955) sound so much better on them than the later rock and roll ones. The quality really went down on 45's by then.
Audiokarma