Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-02-2003, 11:06 AM
Huh?

Angry It's just not fair!

Now I'm not one to complain (no, not I !) but really, something has to be done.
You guys keep coming across the coolest TVs, seemingly at every turn. I'm not even going to MENTION how many of them were obtained free of charge!
It's just not fair.
I haunt flea markets, garage sales, thrift shops and the like and all I ever manage to find are crappya$$ "woodgrain" portables from the 80's with lousy pictures and zero charm. Where's my roundie? Where's my vintage rectangular set?
In your garage and basement, that's where!
Now don't make me call your wives and tell them about the suspiciously unidirectional TV flow into your houses. "One in, one out", isn't that the rule?
Surely there's some lonely little consolette or table model hanging around that needs more love and attention than it's getting. You'd be making some money and be a hero to your SO. Naturally, you're not honor-bound to tell her that, though one is going out, TWO are coming in...
So let's hear from you. It's high time for a little spring cleaning.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:31 PM
Administrator

So stop dreaming and plan a trip up to Buffalo. Bring a big truck
Old 06-03-2003, 06:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

The places you mention are not where I found most of my TV's, although you sometimes can find them there. Most of mine have come from estate sales and from local large-item trash collection.
At least in Texas, there seem to be estate sales every weekend where the contents of a whole house is sold. Non-working TV's can often be found cheaply, but you have to check out a lot of sales to find them. Also, when you go to garage sales, ask if they have any old TV's they'd like to sell. They might have not bothered to bring them out.
If your community has a yearly large-item trash collection, offer to help unload the trucks people drive in with junk in return for TV's. I found the people operating these events are quite sympathetic and will be glad to not have the TV's go in to the dumpsters. If people set the junk out at the curbs, go out at 6:00 AM and collect the TV's before the trash truck comes. Also, I have found a round-screen TV at a local automobile junkyard.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 11:12 AM.