Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Wayne

Radiola 17

I knew it was up there...somewhere...had to be! In retrieving the Christmas tree, had to move a lot of stuff. How it got there, I haven't a clue!! But under some boxes and old carpet was the RCA Radiola 17. Had not seen it in years but since getting on AK I decided to locate it while I was up in the attic.

The wood case is in pretty good condition, no major chips but sure is dusty and grimey. Raised the lid (top) and it was about white as dirty snow with all the dust. Haven't the slightest idea when it was plugged in the last time.
I remember, as a kid, that it sat on a table about 3 feet long and wide enough to hold the radio and had decorative panels in the front that had the speaker mounted behind some cloth. I still have the table but the speakers are long gone.

Any idea if this is worth reviving?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:54 PM
AK Member

It is definately worth fixing up. Chances are if you vacuum it out carefully with a shop vac and using a small brush to gently dislodge dust, then check the AC cord to make sure the insulation sn't cracked and replace it if you find any cracks; it will probably fire right up. You will probably have to clean the controls as well. I have the Brunswick version of the Radiola 18. The 18 has it's own built in power supply, but the 16 ran on batteries. I don't know about the 17. If it has an AC cord with a normal plug you are in good shape. If it has multiple plugs with round prongs on them, it was meant for battery operation and you will have to find or build a power supply.
These early radios from 1926 were TRF radios; tuned RF instead of super-heterodyne. They really were superior to the super-hets; they had better selectivity and were more sensitive. With a good antenna you can easily pick up distant stations a modern AM radio can't get.

"No choice for sugar, but what choice could there be,
But to drown in coffee, or drown in tea?"
Old 11-28-2005, 11:41 PM
AK Member

The Radiola 17 is AC powered. It was marketed by RCA with the slogan "Music From Your Lighting Socket." This was the first radio to utilize the Radiotron tubes with AC filaments. Many of the Radiola 17's were paired with the RCA 100-A speaker, which sits on top of the radio.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Wayne

RCA Radiola 17 / Terry Dewick

Thanks for the email. I was thinkin about bringing it up to you on December 26th but in another post you said you would be busy. I'll try to set up another date to bring it in.

By the way, any idea on what the 17 is worth? I want to refinish the outside to make it shine. Tell me about that speaker you said would go with this?

Thanks

Wayne
redeldo
Infinity RSa Speakers
KLH Model 32 Speakers
Old 12-06-2005, 12:33 PM
AK Member

I paid $85 for my 18 like 20 years ago, so it should be worth at least twice that now. Of course, like my grandfather used to say, "Its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it."
There is a smallish speaker that says Radiola on it that is in a metal or wood cabinet with a curved top, sort of like a mantelpiece clock, about the same size. It is meant to sit on top of the radio. This is what I have seen used with it. I have seen several of these that are missing the speaker, so be careful what you buy.

"No choice for sugar, but what choice could there be,
But to drown in coffee, or drown in tea?"
Audiokarma