Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-25-2005, 04:03 PM
alfrede

Panasonic 782b

My son bought me a panasonic model 782b for x-mas and I would like to know if anyone can give some information on it.
Ebay has a manual for a 782. But, mine has the B in the number. I can find pictures of the 782 but not one with the B in it.The picture and manual both look the same as mine. Can anyone tell me what the B stands for and is there any value in this radio. It is in great shape. It has one very small dent in the wood on the front. about the size of a match head. One of the knobs is cracked. It plays perfect. I have done many searches and can't find any information on it. That's how I found this forum.
Thanks for any help...
Old 12-25-2005, 04:31 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

First off, Welcome to AK, the FINEST site of its kind on the web ! Secondly, is yr new treasure Tubes or solid-state ? Tubes are tall, glass objects that glow orangy & get hot- DON'T touch 'em when the sets been on for awhile. As far as value, no, I don't think you'll be able to retire if you decide to sell it-but sounds like you have a nice, listenable set-a nice present from yr son. Not having seen it, I really can't make a determination, but I wouldn't speculate it would be worth much more than $25-50, tops. My recommendation: Thank yr son, enjoy the radio, don't worry too much over what it's "worth". -Sandy G.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Audiophool

Panasonic 782 is found in Sams Photofact folder 697-11 from 1964. No B version listed... You may be able to get a copy from your library - I have a bunch myself, but they're all older than that.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:06 PM
alfrede

Thanks for your replys. It is tubed. I have went in and cleaned the dust off. It plays great and I have no intention of parting with. Value would be nice to know. I know he only paid $10 for it. Which I think for condition is a great price. My son knows I am a pack rat and will never get rid of it. I just did some searches on line and could only find models without the B. I was just wondering what the B meant. I found paper work online that makes me believe it could be from 1964 but, a picture that was posted said the one shown was from 1959. It looked exactly like the one I have.I would like to know the year it was made for my benefit. Tom Could you tell me how to get to Sams Photofact folder 697-11 from 1964. I don't know where to look.
Thank you again for you replys. They were very fast and helpfull...
Happy new years and my all my best...

Last edited by alfrede; 12-25-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Audiophool

Well, I don't know where you're located... many large city libraries in the US keep a set and you can get copies through branch libraries almost anywhere for the cost of about 25 cents a page.

Findatube.com has individual folders for $2 plus postage.
Michelletroutman.com has whole sets (15-25 folders) for $3.50 plus postage.
Walt at infotronix.us has them too.
Audiokarma
Old 12-26-2005, 10:29 AM
alfrede

Thanks Tom, I am new to this and didn't know what Sams photofact folder was. I will check it out.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:26 AM
Damn does run fast…

Those old tube Panasonics play FOREVER. We've got one in my house that's now the official kitchen radio, and has seen daily use for years now. Great sound in the wood cabinet ones, too.

Control pots are wearing out and I need new(er) ones. Anyone know where to get Panasonic sized ones that'll fit? Other than that, the radio just keeps on going.

People forget just how long a well made tube radio will run for. Thing's still got the origional set in there...
Old 12-27-2005, 11:14 AM
alfrede

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasadowsk
Those old tube Panasonics play FOREVER. We've got one in my house that's now the official kitchen radio, and has seen daily use for years now. Great sound in the wood cabinet ones, too.

Control pots are wearing out and I need new(er) ones. Anyone know where to get Panasonic sized ones that'll fit? Other than that, the radio just keeps on going.

People forget just how long a well made tube radio will run for. Thing's still got the origional set in there...
I don't know if this will help. I was on ebay looking around and I found quite a few tubed panasonic radios from that time frame. If your interested you may want to check it out. For what the radios were going for you may be able to find one that has the same tubes and just buy one for parts..