Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi to all,

@Scott-Est:
Yes, buying a RCA CC-030 or CKC-021 just to get the viewfinder is an expensive proposition in terms of shipping. You pay for a useless camera + a big shipping bag + an even bigger box to house everything.
Most E-Bay sellers don't understand "ship the VF, keep the rest".

I sent you the complete CKC-021 data to your private Mail address in 4 separate Mails. I hope you received them OK.

VF resolution & color quality:
a B&W VF has an extremely fine electron beam + a continuous screen phosphor deposit so the picture is much sharper than a color screen with discrete dots or stripes. This is why up to very recently Broadcast cameras always had a B&W viewfinder. Cameramen have always been very wary of producing out of focus pictures because the VF's resolution was too coarse.

NTSC output from a DVB-T or Sat digital demodulator: you see the best and the worst! often the NTSC output will be NTSC 3.58 but with 625/50 scan rate. A pseudo standards which reminds us of some weird signals produced by multistandard VHS machines in the past.
Also frequent: NTSC 4.43, identical to PAL but without the subcarrier alternation signal on R-Y.

@Andy: no advertising on VK seen here. I use FireFox.

Good day to all,

jhalphen
Paris/France
Old 09-24-2013, 08:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
What's with the random links in people's posts? Are things really that bad that VK needs to resort to inserting ads into people's posts?
If you hover over them and they say "powered by text enhance" or "skimwords", "skimlinks", etc. you may have malware on your computer that will turn regular text and links into their affiliate links.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Um there definitely is something here.. It's being added by SkimWords..

And this is on a fresh installed Mac.

EDIT: And I'll note, with Adblock Plus, it still shows up.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-09-24 at 1.26.28 PM.png (39.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-24-2013, 01:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
Um there definitely is something here.. It's being added by SkimWords..

And this is on a fresh installed Mac.

EDIT: And I'll note, with Adblock Plus, it still shows up.
I have always seen this type of thing where the words are highlighted ever since I joined. I thought people were seeing actual ads. I don't see anything else.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yep! I think that it was once explained that the site gets a small amount of $$$ from these links... I used to spell Sony as S0ny so links would not show up, but stopped doing that when I found out that they provided some support for the site.
jr

I think that I only see them if javascript is enabled.

Last edited by jr_tech; 09-24-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: add comment
Audiokarma
Old 09-24-2013, 02:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

With most websites these days being written with JS, it's needed, and won't be turned off anytime soon here.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not appearing here either with Firefox or Internet Explorer. JS enabled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rerff.jpg (68.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-24-2013, 03:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wonder what platforms it targets. :/ Hmm..

So I tried a few browsers. I use SeaMonkey primarily, which uses Firefox internally.

Safari > Has it.
Firefox > Has it.
Chrome > Has it.

So that's weird. I'm on a Mac latest OS (BETA testing the newer OS even), and you're on XP.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I get those made-up links, too, and I am running Firefox with Adblock Plus.

Since the links may provide financial support to this site, I do not mind them at all. Maybe I will even click on one occasionally, just to help. A "Sony" one above is a link to some Sony Android phone on Amazon, for example. No harm at all to see that.

Maybe one will show up with a link to Indextron TV sets for sale!

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 10-05-2013, 10:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

No underlined links on my screen and I don't use any Adblock or similar programs.

I want to say once more big thanks to Jhalphen, who sent the full service manual for CKC021 viewfinder.

To fully analyse the schematics I need to print it out and glue these sheets together. But at first glance it is indeed quite strange system for me. This north-eastern corner in Europe we had 3-gun color-CRTs from the beginning of colour television introduction. I read that maybe England and other western countries had indexing-type TVs, but not sure about it. Though, one Russian portable color-TV set has one-beam electron gun, but creating colours to screen is done by two charged thin-wire layers between screen and the gun, that type of CRT is called chromatron.

I won't do anything to VF before I fully understand its "soul" and also I purchased a old and faulty, but reliable soviet era oscilloscope to make thing a lot easier. (Fault - scope has no horizontal deflection, but it easy to fix this.)

And have two more questions.

First: whitch is newer/modern VF, CKC021 or CKC030?
And second: what type of CRT is used in Panasonic CT-101A? Size is same 1,5 inch color CRT, but other information is controversial. One source said that it has 3 beam gun, other - 1 beam indextron(?).

Thanks
Audiokarma
Old 10-06-2013, 10:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
[QUOTE=Scott_Est;3084333]No underlined links on my screen and I don't use any Adblock or similar programs.

I want to say once more big thanks to Jhalphen, who sent the full service manual for CKC021 viewfinder.

To fully analyse the schematics I need to print it out and glue these sheets together. But at first glance it is indeed quite strange system for me. This north-eastern corner in Europe we had 3-gun color-CRTs from the beginning of colour television introduction. I read that maybe England and other western countries had indexing-type TVs, but not sure about it. Though, one Russian portable color-TV set has one-beam electron gun, but creating colours to screen is done by two charged thin-wire layers between screen and the gun, that type of CRT is called chromatron.

I won't do anything to VF before I fully understand its "soul" and also I purchased a old and faulty, but reliable soviet era oscilloscope to make thing a lot easier. (Fault - scope has no horizontal deflection, but it easy to fix this.)

And have two more questions.

First: whitch is newer/modern VF, CKC021 or CKC030?
And second: what type of CRT is used in Panasonic CT-101A? Size is same 1,5 inch color CRT, but other information is controversial. One source said that it has 3 beam gun, other - 1 beam indextron(?).

Thanks[/QUOTE

Just a guess, numerical order would suggest the old and new.

The photo of the Panasonic CT-101A is from my website. I am the author of Visions4.net. The Panasonic CT-101 is a 3 gun, tri phosphor precision in line CRT. Source CQ-TV 202 May, 2003.

I am curious about the Russian portable Chromatron you refer to. Do you have photos or more information? I was not aware of such a set. I have a Sony 7 inch Chromatron model KV 7010U and two Sony KVX 370 Indextrons.

To the best of my knowledge, a annotated history: Sony produced the first ever commercial for the home Chromatron in 1965. It was a 19 inch, 3 gun Chromatron, model 19C 70, marketed only in Japan. In 1968, Sony marketed a 7 inch Chromatron model KV 7010U in the U.S. In 1988, Sony marketed the first stand alone, direct view Indextron television receiver, the KVX 370. (Sony also uses a 5.25 Indextron CRT in a projection television in 1984)

There is a rumor that a Japanese company Yaou, produced a 8 inch Chromatron as early as 1963, but so far have seen no evidence that happened.

Update: Jerome Halphin provided me with information from his recent visit to the NHK Museum in Toyko. The Yaou became the GENERAL TELEVISION COLORNET GTC-9 and indeed was marketed in Japan about 1965-66.

See PAGE FIVE TRINITRON on my website and scroll down to 1965. Photos and a report from Jerome.
http://www.visions4.net/journal/time...e-a/page-five/

Last edited by etype2; 10-11-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Add info.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi to All,

to Scott_Estonia:

In the family of RCA color viewfinders using the Hitachi H6289 Beam-Index tube, the CKC-021 is the most rent. It has only 2x Printed Circuits Boards (PCBs) stacked one upon the other.

The older CC-030 uses 3x PCBs

CT-101 CRT: reference is Matsushita A04-JGM09X, 3 guns inline shadow-mask technology. See closeup photos.

Converting the VF to direct PAL/625 operation vs using a PAL to NTSC transcoder. I don't think it will work because the stripe pitch multiplied by scanning speed is optimized for NTSC.

From memory, in the theory of operation it says that 3.58 MHz color subcarrier info is heterodyned down to 2.667 MHz dot pitch frequency.

For PaL you would have to heterodyne 4.43 MHz to the same 2.667.
Hitachi built several complex analogue ICs to reduce component count/power consumption in the design. Duplicating this with transistors is going to involve a very complex board design job.

See the internal structure of the Hitachi HA-11759 Index Processor chip in page 6 of this thread.

Best Regards
jhalphen
Kyoto/Japan

Last edited by jhalphen; 10-06-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Kyoto/Japan? I guess I have to play "Find Waldo/Halphen" soon.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Dave,

Not playing "Find Waldo", just on a trip to Japan.

Will be visiting the Sony Museum at Tokyo HQ + the NHK Museum of Broadcasting.

Hope to bring back lots of interesting shots.

Best Regards

jhalphen
Kyoto/Japan
Old 10-09-2013, 12:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post
I am curious about the Russian portable Chromatron you refer to. Do you have photos or more information? I was not aware of such a set.
I have no pictures and haven't seen it. I read about it from old estonian TV repairing book and even there is only couple of lines, stating that this kind of TV-set even existed. But I did some researce through russian Google web-pages (there's tons of info about soviet era television) and found out, that CRT is labeled 25ЛК1Ц (25LK1C), first introduction was made around 1976. This link gives you magazine called RADIO (djvu file) and on pages 32-33 are some sketches beside the text. Unfortunately no info about that set, where it was used. Newer 25ЛК2Ц 3-gun CRT is widely known (example http://www.rw6ase.narod.ru/000/tw/elektronika_c430.html).
Audiokarma