Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

5" Rhapsody color portable.

One of my neighbors found a small slightly beat-up small color set. It doesn't have a built in AC supply, but uses a external plug-in PS. After locating a 12V power cord, powering it up and after a bit fiddling it shows a remarkable picture, naturally using a DTV convertor.
My big question is "How does it come apart?" The pots need cleaning and the antenna jack is a little iffy.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:25 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

LOVE these L'il Guys from the '80s-90s. Most of 'em didn't sell too well, yet all the ones I've seen have EXEMPLARY color/Picture. They generally seem to be in 2 general conditions nowadays-2) Trashed, used by a herd of Billy Goats for Mountain training, or 2) almost incredibly pristine. One can only wonder how the mfgers made any money on these things, what with developmental costs being as they are, & the short life cycle lifespans of 'em . You'd go into a store & see one, but realize you were gonna have to Save Up a few weeks to rescue yr Playpretty, only to find when you went to get it, they had been Discontinued..I also kinda think a lot of 'em ended up w/ rude, boisterous, ill-mannered Chilluns who showed 'em No Mercy whatsoever, which would explain why so many of 'em are trashed nowadays.. In any case, you have a very neat artifact from a time not so long ago, but a technology that has Wrongly-been rendered obsolete. MARVEL at it, take care of it, & ENJOY the H3!! out of it !
Old 08-21-2019, 07:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

If no screws it must be held together with claws. Its a matter of
pressing the cabinet in the right places. A butter knife often helps.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 08-22-2019, 11:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
LOVE these L'il Guys from the '80s-90s. Most of 'em didn't sell too well, yet all the ones I've seen have EXEMPLARY color/Picture. They generally seem to be in 2 general conditions nowadays-2) Trashed, used by a herd of Billy Goats for Mountain training, or 2) almost incredibly pristine. One can only wonder how the mfgers made any money on these things, what with developmental costs being as they are, & the short life cycle lifespans of 'em . You'd go into a store & see one, but realize you were gonna have to Save Up a few weeks to rescue yr Playpretty, only to find when you went to get it, they had been Discontinued..I also kinda think a lot of 'em ended up w/ rude, boisterous, ill-mannered Chilluns who showed 'em No Mercy whatsoever, which would explain why so many of 'em are trashed nowadays.. In any case, you have a very neat artifact from a time not so long ago, but a technology that has Wrongly-been rendered obsolete. MARVEL at it, take care of it, & ENJOY the H3!! out of it !
Not a real stranger to those small color sets, as I have several! Three under-cabinet GE Space Savers, a similar Emerson, a Sears model and a few B/W sets, brand-new in the box. I almost forgot about my Sony Color Watchman, A regular CRT type set.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
If no screws it must be held together with claws. Its a matter of
pressing the cabinet in the right places. A butter knife often helps.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
I didn't have a butter knife handy in the workshop, so I went to the near-by thrift and bought two real high Quality ones for 20 cents each. The set got bumped to the to-do list.
I just got another one from the same guy, a Cosmo 5" color set. That one is a real easy to work on. It didn't want to power up because the power input jack was broken away from the foil traces. Gray scale was a bit off, but after adjusting the blue drive, the picture looks pretty good.
I'm always amazed how good the convergence of those small sets is.
Audiokarma