Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sony standby blinks twice-Adventure

Hello ladies and fellas.
Maybe someone has some input they could share.
Recently I was given a Sony KV-24fs120, dated Dec 2004, BA6 chassis. I had no idea if it even worked or not as I have another and would save this for parts regardless. As it turns out it did not and produced the 2 blink diag code. This TV falls in the sweet spot for gamers 19-(20-25)-27" and I decided to attempt to fix it.
Here's what I have:
Nothing burned or smell. Fuse is good, double checked with dvom. I found no swelled or leaking caps. I went over the entire underside and found no bad joints either.
Jumping the gun, before gathering more information, I went ahead and replaced the ic chip that comes up quite frequently as the culprit. Note*-this model only has 1 chip versus 2 on many Sonys. After replacement I plugged it back in and no change, still the same 2 blinks. @#$%&!!!

Long story short I am leaning towards the "hot" horizontal output transistor and also the flyback transformer. After reading and reading this is what I came up with. (I think)
See my enclosed pictures. After I went back and looked at things again, I can say that flyback has A LOT of miles on it.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? I know too well to put genuine Sony parts back on it but I see aftermarket parts around. Are any of those any good? Electronix?

Before I go spending more $ I figured I would ask. Thank you in advance.

P.S.-Has anyone ever used another flyback from a similar TV say like a kv-27fs120? Part numbers are a task to find as well.

Again thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170623_232929.jpg (54.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170623_232953.jpg (57.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-24-2017, 12:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

I would test the CRT before I put much time/money in it.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

IIRC 2 blinks are over current shut down. This will almost
always be the horz output (HOT) & or flyback ( FBT). FBT's did go
often on them. WARNING IIRC most of the FBT's were shipped
without the HV lead & you needed a special tool to get the old
one out !!
If the HOT is shorted the horz drive transformer usually has
cold joints or the FBT killed it.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 06-24-2017, 08:57 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Attached better photo

I JUST scrapped a 27" Sony from 2005 with a bad CRT. I cut a couple of wires that go to the fly, hopefully it isn't buggered.

I hope the HV wire on this one is modular because I cut that too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2005 27-inch Sony fly.jpg (92.8 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Jon A.; 06-24-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I do have the other TV I could swap the board out of easy enough. It's so nice, I almost hate to disturb it. I have to find out this special tool to disconnect the hv lead. I'm a career auto technician so I might be able to make something work with what I have at hand.

Has anyone ever just soldered those leads back together? That's really all I was planning, sort of. My joints always have virtually no voltage drop. Just saying.

I'm not in a hurry, I can sit on this. I'd love to resurrect it though, besides the size-component is sure nice to keep.

Is there one place better than others to buy parts?
Audiokarma
Old 07-29-2017, 01:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well the moral of this story is to be patient and like @mrjukebox160 said "check the actual tube (if you can) to see if it is even worth bothering with.

As an update, a couple weeks back I found a seller of multiple Sony CRTs, all with barely any use as his elderly mother bought them late in her life.
I came home with the same model 24" that I started the thread about, kv-24fs120, and his little sibling a kv-20fs120. He wanted more but I offered $80 and he accepted.
A Super Nintendo with an s-video cable really looks good on these televisions I have to say.
Thanks again for everyone's advice!