Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ge 62 radio

Got a ge model 62 5 tube radio to eliminate the 50L6 and the 35z5 what value resistors would have to go in place of these tubes. This is a series string for the tubes.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
Got a ge model 62 5 tube radio to eliminate the 50L6 and the 35z5 what value resistors would have to go in place of these tubes. This is a series string for the tubes.
Hi Timmy, if your gonna eliminate the 35Z5 and 50L6, leaving only the 12SA7, 12SK7, and 12SQ7, why bother trying to drop 120 volts down to a 36 volt series string ? At that point, you'd be better off getting a small 120 volt to 12 volt transformer, wire the three tube's heaters in parallel, and forget the resistors altogether. In fact, depending on what the rest of this project looks like, if whatever (Amplifier?) your gonna play this radio into has 6 volt tubes, go with a 6SA7, 6SK7, and 6SQ7 fed from the Amp's heater string. Just curious, since your ditching the 35Z5, where are you gonna get the B+ to run the three tubes, from the Amp? you'll be using to replace the 50L6?
Old 01-17-2023, 01:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

The resistors were for the heaters and I would use diodes. The tubes are good I just was wondering what resistors to use in place of the 2 tubes.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:58 PM
M is for Memory

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Are you just trying to give it a quick one time power up with the rectifier disabled to see if the heaters light, or are you trying to convert the rectifier and audio section to solid state?

If the former, why not just unplug those tubes and use 3-4 clip leads to temporarily connect just the heater pins into the chassis?

If the latter you will need to look up the datasheets for those 2 tubes and do the math...R=V÷A P=VxA R is resistance P is power, V is volts A is amps. You want to double your power value on the resistors power rating or it'll get mighty hot.
Also if your radio has a dial lamp the 35Z5 has a tap for it... Recreating that tap is an extra PITA.
Personally with how plentiful 35Z5s are I'd just get a new one and save the math for something that is worth the effort. You're probably going to be out almost as much in power resistors as the tube costs.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-17-2023, 02:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah those tubes are available so yes I’ll just leave it alone.
Audiokarma
Old 01-17-2023, 03:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
Yeah those tubes are available so yes I’ll just leave it alone.
Somehow, I just knew answering this thread was gonna go this way......