Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Motorola Minion

I had pretty intense arcing out from the CRT connector on a similar Motorola when I first started messing with TV over 40 years ago. Optimal time of year for that nonsense! I had to clean the CRT and then the connector suction cup rubber with silicone to get rid of all the tracking. The HV rectifier was a 3A3, like what a color TV used, so I know the HV was higher than normal BW sets.

What is the chassis number? Mine was CDTS581YA totally all-gray metal 19" cabinet, like my avatar.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I figured the blue glow was nothing, the power tubes in my home stereo have a blue glow, but I'm kinda a noob to TVs......

I fired her up tonight and found some arcing in the HV rectifier socket, though it looked like it was happening inside the tube. Time to pull it out for a good clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
What is the chassis number? Mine was CDTS581YA totally all-gray metal 19" cabinet, like my avatar.
I couldn't figure out the chassis number, but its in a floor standing wood Danish modern style console. I attached the picture this time to avoid the PB blues

Attached Images
File Type: jpg motorolaTV.jpg (62.2 KB, 235 views)
Old 09-17-2017, 10:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

So this TV has been playing well, I replaced the HV lead, cleaned the cage, replaced the tubes in the tuner. I also cleaned the "noise gate" pot, it was scratchy and made the picture go wavy/buzzy intermittently.

only quirk I have now is some buzz in the audio which can sometimes be minimized with adjustment of the fine tuning. Perhaps I have a dirty tuner? or could it be alignment related?
Old 09-17-2017, 10:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rye89 View Post
So this TV has been playing well, I replaced the HV lead, cleaned the cage, replaced the tubes in the tuner. I also cleaned the "noise gate" pot, it was scratchy and made the picture go wavy/buzzy intermittently.

only quirk I have now is some buzz in the audio which can sometimes be minimized with adjustment of the fine tuning. Perhaps I have a dirty tuner? or could it be alignment related?
Sometimes this is just a fact of life with old TVs, especially when digitally generated text is shown. Alignment can definitely help, especially if the best picture and sound appear at different parts in the fine tuning range.

Really nice TV!