Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:06 PM
Bob Galanter

RCA 9T79 restoration completed

I finally got around to completing the restoration of this set after half finishing it about 2 years ago. I made the cardinal mistake of being to lazy to re-stuff the electrolytic cans. The set was working fine, but then it lost about half of the vertical height, so I decided I better finish the job and "do it right" this time.

Lesson Learned: even if the set seems to be working fine with original cans, actually the cans have crap inside and will come back to bite you in the ass some day if you are too lazy to re-stuff them. This will be the first and last time I try to get away using the old cans.

This set has a cabinet that is UN-refinished except for the top, which due damage I caused, required me to refinish the top. Came with a 19AP4 that tested like new and displays a very nice picture.

Full story and write up is on my web site. Just click the link below.
http://antiquetvguy.com/WebPages/The...79-19inch.html

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 04-03-2018, 04:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice set. I bet whoever had that in 1951 was really proud of it.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:40 PM
Resident Lunatic

Gorgeous set Bob, and a fine picture to boot!

When I initially got involved in this hobby, I was more fascinated with the small screen sets. As time goes on, and my nearsightedness gets worse, I can appreciate how much easier it is to watch a bigger screen, especially without glasses. About a 16 inch screen is the minimum I can stand to watch for a long period of time. 19 is easier yet...

Last edited by benman94; 04-03-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Very nice resto work and a great story. Years ago only the 3"-10" pre-1951 sets interested me. These days I love these later larger screen sets too. As mentioned above, they are more enjoyable to use if you like to play your vintage TV's. I really like the separate speaker doors on that model.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
Gorgeous set Bob, and a fine picture to boot!

When I initially got involved in this hobby, I was more fascinated with the small screen sets. As time goes on, and my nearsightedness gets worse, I can appreciate how much easier it is to watch a bigger screen, especially without glasses. About a 16 inch screen is the minimum I can stand to watch for a long period of time. 19 is easier yet...
It depends how far you sit away from the set! Right now, I'm sitting an arms length from a 14" CRT color set and it's perfect.
Audiokarma
Old 04-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Very nice resto work and a great story. Years ago only the 3"-10" pre-1951 sets interested me. These days I love these later larger screen sets too. As mentioned above, they are more enjoyable to use if you like to play your vintage TV's. I really like the separate speaker doors on that model.
Interesting you should mention the speaker doors. There was another model almost identical to the Northampton called the Hillsdale model 9t77 and the only difference I can see is in the cabinet. The Northampton has speaker doors and the Hillsdale does not. The Hillsdale was $389 and the Northampton was $425.

I found this Life Magazine add for RCA sets
https://books.google.com/books?id=9U...209t79&f=false

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com