Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Have you ever heard of Videssence?
https://www.videssence.tv/installations.php
They do flourescent lighting for TV studios. When CNN Headlines went on, it was lit with videssence. Its much cooler than incandescent. It has a different look in color which the cameras had to be balanced for.
Those large incandescents with the mogul base were used on TV towers. They are 660W. Any new tower being built and those over 1000 feet must have strobe lighting these days.
But I think HP Sodium is thee brightest. Artificial sunlight!
Old 03-01-2020, 12:56 PM
Caution, I'm high voltage

Three years ago I was visiting a friend in Washington, DC. He lives in Chevy Chase Park area. The back alley behind his house was still lit with incandescent street lights. It was so odd to see a whole street still lit with incandescent lighting. Though, I liked it. I also have a 1949 GE Form 79 incandescent street light atop my garage that I use every night. It's funny......last year they replaced the high pressure sodium streetlights on my street with some really wimpy LED lights, and the light atop my garage is brighter than the street light out on the street!
Old 08-16-2020, 08:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

I love the old mercury vapor lights, my town still has quite a few on side streets. Some are about 50+ years old by now.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

They've replaced all but one sodium streetlights in my street with LED's, the one exception is outside our front fence where we still have a low pressure sodium light. However it conked out a few days ago. Phoned the council & they'll come when they can, but there's a very big backlog of jobs because of covid19 so not expecting them anytime soon. I presume we'll be getting an LED job when they get round to fixing it...
Old 08-21-2020, 01:57 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Hopefully they will keep it the original!!
Audiokarma
Old 08-21-2020, 03:26 AM
I love old stuff

In Romania they are replacing the whole thing
Old 09-09-2020, 09:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
They've replaced all but one sodium streetlights in my street with LED's, the one exception is outside our front fence where we still have a low pressure sodium light. However it conked out a few days ago. Phoned the council & they'll come when they can, but there's a very big backlog of jobs because of covid19 so not expecting them anytime soon. I presume we'll be getting an LED job when they get round to fixing it...
Well they came to fix the light today, first they went to the wrong lamp post, when I showed them the light that was actually bust (that is up a footpath) they said "ooh we can't get the cherry picker truck up there" & phoned their office. They then said "we're not allowed to climb ladders anymore because of H&S, another crew will have to come out & put a whole new lamp post in." I asked if the new light will be an LED? He said "yes it will be as we haven't got any sodium bulbs any more, all new & replacement streetlights will be LED from now on." Of course he didn't know when they'll be coming to sort it out, so it'll still be a bit dark out the front...
Old 09-20-2020, 10:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
They stopped making those tubes recently. I know a local TV collector that has a hoard of those tubes and that was the explanation I was given.
I resemble that remark!
The price was right, free. I like those tubes. They're good for high bay. 16 feet above the floor.
The company I worked at, converted to Metal Halide 24 years ago. I took the better quality fixtures with the porcelain enamel shade and the better sockets.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well they've been & put the new lamp post up with an LED on top, just got to see what it's like when it gets dark in about 3 hours time. I'll miss the orange glow of the old low pressure sodium light...
Old 10-06-2020, 02:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well it's now dark & my front garden is lit up with a glaring white light, it will take some getting used to after the relaxing orange sodium light. At least it isn't blue'ish like the earlier LED's were, hope it doesn't light the bedroom up too much...
Audiokarma
Old 10-07-2020, 10:11 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I resemble that remark!
The price was right, free. I like those tubes. They're good for high bay. 16 feet above the floor.
The company I worked at, converted to Metal Halide 24 years ago. I took the better quality fixtures with the porcelain enamel shade and the better sockets.
I started hoarding incandescent bulbs back when they got banned... I'm so glad Trump eliminated that stupid ban. The market should decide what products to use, not the government.
Nothing drives up sales like implementing a ban or taking something out of production.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-07-2020, 08:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Fluorescent street lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I started hoarding incandescent bulbs back when they got banned... I'm so glad Trump eliminated that stupid ban. The market should decide what products to use, not the government.
Nothing drives up sales like implementing a ban or taking something out of production.

Yup, I hoarded incandescents too. I have far too many, and the supply will outlast me. I've debated selling some off on eBay.

Last edited by user181; 10-15-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

I also loaded up on 100 watters, including a pile from a wholesale club. I finally sold a bunch of them on eBay because they were taking up too much space & I really don't have much need for them anymore.

What had me thinking of this thread: I live across the street from an old factory complex, still in limited use. I'd never noticed until a few weeks ago that their whole lot uses those fluorescents. A large percentage are stuck on 24/7.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Still beats me how they work fine at minus 20-25 degress Celsius. In an 1962 book I found out that the ones used in Romania worked 'till -15 ° C.
I was googling around during lunch and this post came to mind when I found something interesting.

Apparently GE offered some sort of a "cold"climate" option where a thermostat and heater was installed in series with the line power or photocell. You would set the photocell to turn on while it was still a bit brighter outside, or presumably turn the lights on earlier and it would first activate a heater in the lamp head to get the internals and the tubes above freezing, then the thermostat would satisfy and while switching the heater off the lamp would switch on and the ballast would take over from there.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:25 AM
I love old stuff

On a Romanian forum I found the answer: the tube where of special construction and had some kind of heater.
I hoarded incadescents too.
Audiokarma