Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2013, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

GE 1955 Intro to PC Boards

I recently picked up some GE service manuals from the 1950's, and one was introducing their M chassis, which was their first portable metal cabinet tv. It was apparently also their first set with PC boards.

These are pages made from a slide presentation for techs, that were printed and sent out to dealers. The script goes with each of the pictures. The discussion of PC boards starts with Illustration 21.

Two things that caught my attention: First, GE used both plated and etched boards. However, they admit the plated boards were superior.

Second, instead of unsoldering leads to replace a part, they show cutting it out from the top and using the old leads as mounting posts for the new component.

I know this isn't considered good practice today, but why? Would this be more acceptable with an older PC board that is at risk of damage if unsoldered?

At any rate, these are a reminder of a time when PC boards were new technology and had to be explained to people.