Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:24 PM
RCA 741PCS

Question Pop rivet tool for tube sockets

I need to replace some sockets on TVs and radios. I'd like to use rivets like the ones originally used rather than nuts and bolts.

Here's a really inexpensive one at harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-38353.html

Any recommendations ?

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Administrator

They didn't use Pop Rivets originally either, they uses hollow Brass Rivets that were stamped into shape.

I've tried Pop Rivets on Tube Sockets and it's a mixed bag, if the mounting hole is metal then they'll work but if it's Phenolic it just breaks under the pressure of the Pop Rivet.

Small screws and nuts would be a more correct period repair than a Pop Rivet but someone must sell old fashioned brass rivets and the tools to install them.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've been looking for hollow rivots also, only found solid brass ones which are difficult to peen....they tend to bend.
I may try to chuck one up in the milling machine and see if I can drill one out hollow.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:17 PM
RCA 741PCS

Ah, I see what you mean on the radio chassis. There's even a wire going through one of the rivets. Someone mangled the base shields so they could use metal tubes. I was contemplating replacing them with some good ones.

I wonder if brass eyelets would work

As for my Motorola TV chassis, it uses solid steel rivets. I suppose I could just use small nuts and bolts for this repair.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

after examining what is discussed about this subject...
an original deep throat version of this hollow brass rivet machine was used..because this link for that type is just for paper etc...finding one that still exist for this type of re-rivet; would be hard to come by ...like ones used in the radio/TV factory@ production speed..electric motor flywheel driven
because you have to clear the sides of the set's chassis...maybe a small arbor deep throat press with a custom rivet punch/die...would solve this issue..like an old Chicago clutch and brake shoe relining machine..it had a deep throat die punch press to take out the old brass rivets and repress new rivets to the brake and clutch linings...one would have to recreate a foot operated version make the die anvils out of drill rod stock,..one for removal of old hollow brass rivet,and one for reinstall of new one..without busting the fiber tube socket...it have too have different size die anvils in order for change out

Last edited by 47'Plymouth; 10-20-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Audiokarma