Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

This is very hard to talk about... loss of a ctc5, with the owners manual and a spare

I have the extremely sad duty to tell you all, that it looks like I missed a blond ctc5 set last weekend. It was at an auction, and I did NOT know about the auction. several of the guys from the radio club were there, and not ONE of them took the time to make a simple phone call, and tell me that the set, and chassis, were there, with NO INTEREST. that is all it would have taken, I would have BURNED RUBBER and I do mean BURNED, to get to dayton, less than 40 miles from my house, and acquired the set.
but no, they all said" we thought you knew, "or "you should have checked this for yourself", and such. True, I should have checked the Tradin post auction block, but because of getting the van last week, and getting ready for our neighborhood garage sale, (where I attempted to sell some Rca TOB TV sets, among others, it slipped my mind.)

My ONLY hope, is that SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY, the set, and chassis, which was in the GARBAGE, will still be there, or the auctioneer will be able to tell me whoo got the tv, so I can see if I can get it.
BTW__ what would a ctc5, with the owners manual, and spare chasis be worth? $1000, or so?
Old 08-11-2004, 06:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

That doesn't sound like a typical auction barn to me...if it is a consignment auction, if they don't get any bids, they usually set the item to the side till next time they have the auction...they will try to sell it again, even if they have to sell it for a dollar bill months later. Have never seen stuff thrown in the trash if it didn't get bids.

I don't know about that radio club...if I was at the auction and knew you wanted the set, and especially if biding was low I would have just bid on the darned thing and given it to you even if I didn't want it myself.

Last edited by Chad Hauris; 08-11-2004 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:23 PM
heathkit tv

Dang, that both sucks and blows. Hope you eventually get it. Try calling the auction house or auctioneer.....if he still has it when you go and take a look pretend you're disappointed....as if you were expecting a different model. That way you can super low ball him on the price! LOL

Please let us all know what happens.

Anthony
Old 08-11-2004, 02:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not sure that CTC-5 would be valued at $1000.00. Condition and model type would be good to know. The spare chassis and owner's manual are a plus. I hope you track it down and give it a good home.

Steve
Old 08-11-2004, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've seen some auctions hold onto things-one had a cheap mid-50s Philco sitting off to the side for 10 years before I brought it home. But that same auction house threw out onto his junk pile a '60 Zenith bw console, a late 60s GE color set, a Hallicrafters Super Defiant w/speaker; but even in those cases the stuff would sit there (albeit in the weather) for months and months before the dumpster got it. Another auction has a burn pile that gets lit periodically. I rescued an RCA 811K console radio and an Arvin off that pile once, both badly damaged by weather, but another time when I tried to haul away a weatherbeaten Panasonic from the 70s they threatened to call the law! Anyway, for this it is sure worth the time to track down. One thing, a CTC-5 is too heavy to just toss in the trash!

Its ashame about those guys keeping you out of the loop. I've been in somewhat similar situtations before and it kinda ticks me off. Like my old barber who always went to the auction, and he would tell me about the beer flats full of tubes that wouldn't sell for $1-hey, he could've spent a dollar for me! But, no, thats not quite the same as missing out on a CTC-5!
Old 08-19-2004, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well... the 5 is still alive........BUT....

Some people have a LOT of nerve.... I finally was able to get hold of the people from the house where the ctc 5 is. It looks like someone has gotten it, So it will not be landfill material. I saw it. It is a blond cabinet, in reasonable shape, on legs. I left my phone number and name, with a woman there, requesting for the person who had it to call me, about selling it to me. So, there MAY still be hope for me getting it, after all..

BUT that is NOT what upset me. While i was there, I saw the remains of a ctc 7 or 9 in the big dumpster, behind this house. the woman whom I left my number with was nice about it, and I started to get it out of there. there was little of the cabinet left, but the crt(21cyp22) and chassis were intact. THEN, and OLD WOMAN, came out of the house, and started whining for me to stop trying to get it out of the dumpster. I tried to convince her to allow me to get it(it was RIGHT near the back, and easy to get at), but she continued to complain, then she asked an old man there about it, and he said" you are in the way, get out of here!", So, I offered to pay $20 for it, but he still insisted" we got that junked packed in there, and you cant get anything out, you will cause us problems getting stuff in there". so, since I was in my work uniform, and was afraid of problems occurring, I had to give up( the crt on the 7 in the dumpster had a brightner on it ,anyway, but still.....)

Isn't that SAD, the way some jerks ARE??!!??
Old 01-12-2005, 09:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

sheesh. Ive seen worse.

Ive seen places where if you even ATTEMPT to get into the dumpsters, you will get the law called on for tresspassing on private property.