Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Atwater-Kent 70

Look what I found:

It's missing two UX-245 tubes. I'll need to find a couple for testing.

Somebody dropped the speaker at some point.

I believe the chassis is the L series.

Overall it's in decent shape.

I couldn't let it sit where I found it another minute.

Sorry for the fuzzy pics. More to come later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (60.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (67.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 003.jpg (71.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (65.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 11-16-2010, 12:22 AM
RCA 741PCS

Nice find

If you can't find any 45s, check this thread out for substitution ideas: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...e1817300b3245f
Old 11-16-2010, 06:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice radio, looks like around 1929-31 from the style. A-K used to hang the speakers on the cabinet like a picture on the wall: see those hooks? People didn't know it and tilted the cabinet to move it and bang. The picture shows somebody drove a couple of screws in there to steady it: they could use some washers. And notice: A-K was "listening to me" and put a bottom shelf in there under the speaker for better bass!

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

The big reason for my going ahead and snagging this radio was because the first time I looked at it, the two missing tubes were there... 2 globe style tubes.

We were furious when we saw they had been taken... in 3 days time... and went ahead and plunked down the cash to get it. I paid for half of it.

The other half will do some repairs on the veneer where it has raised up over the years.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:03 PM
RCA 741PCS

I'd be PO'd about the tubes too. I've noticed most of the primo tubes have been liberated from radios in the local antique shops.
Including the pair of 183s that should have been in my Sparton Jr
Old 11-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Me likey !
Old 11-18-2010, 08:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

I got the Ryders. The listing has an L-1 chassis, along with an L-2 chassis. They *look* similar.

I've got a pair of 2A3's that I could use for temporary outputs, but would really like to find a pair of 45's...even weak ones... to use.

As for the bent speaker frame, I'm going to attempt to bend it back, carefully and slowly. The cone is damaged as far as I can tell... It's still in the cabinet for right now. The first thing to go will be the wood screws that someone used to hold the chassis and speaker down.

I'll be working on the DuMont TV this weekend. I got some more caps.

The A-K is getting some cabinet work right now, too. I'm not the cabinet man around here.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've found a pair of tubes. They are on the way.

Pulled the chassis and cleaned up the existing tubes.

Found some screws missing that hold the front tuning dial plate in position.

I dont think this radio ever had screws holding down the chassis. The chassis sits on a shelf and has felt feet under it.

It uses a pair of 227 tubes. One has a grounded shield over it. The other 227 socket has a 56 tube in it. The other tubes are 224's, with 24A's in the sockets.

I didnt pull the bottom chassis cover off. I'm a bit concerned about the power transformer. The cover was loose, and there was loose tar inside. I dont smell anything burned, though.

There is a problem with the tuning capacitor. Something feel stripped between the knob shaft and the capacitor.

I also need to find some grid cap connectors for the 24A's. I used to have a load of things like this when I had my shop, but now... I think I have one from an old flyback here, somewhere.

Here's a few more pictures of the chassis.

First pic is the transformer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 012.jpg (86.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 011.jpg (89.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 010.jpg (69.8 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by holmesuser01; 11-29-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

There was some other manufacturer that didn't fasten the chassis down, think it was Sparton power supply chassis? People were always dumping chassis when moving sets.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Poaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
I'd be PO'd about the tubes too. I've noticed most of the primo tubes have been liberated from radios in the local antique shops.
Including the pair of 183s that should have been in my Sparton Jr
Quite often have i seen radios without Peanuts, Kellogs, UX201As and other increasingly exotic tubes.
Audiokarma
Old 12-03-2010, 06:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

These are really nice performing radios once you get them going. Picked one up at a ham fest a few years back but I was lucky that ir came with all the tubes. The cabinet was shot. Yours looks to be in very saveable shape. If I remember right the tuning was done by a rubber grommet on a toothed gear? Had to cobble a new grommet from some Ace hardware stuff that was close.
Empire 298 TT W/Denon 103 cart
Marantz CD6006, Pioneer DV-588 SACD
Old 12-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Behind in Time

IIRC the can with the loose top contains the filter chokes. The dome top can next to it is the power transformer and the filter caps are in the other large box directly behind the power transformer. You are correct- the chassis just slid into the cabinet and had an oblong keyhole shaped wood block that swiveled on a screw into the shelf near the rear center of the chassis. Slide in the chassis and then rotate the block up to the edge of the chassis to hold it firmly in place. I’ve seen many of these with the speaker dangling out the back of the cabinet- usually at auctions where they don’t know or take time to look inside the cabinet. There was a paper attached to the floor of the cabinet showing how to mount the chassis and speaker but many times it's missing. I may have one around here somewhere that I can scan. Let me know if you need it and I'll look.

Majestic was another company good at bolting in the chassis but just letting the power supply sit loose in the cabinet. I’ve seen a few of these come flying out as well- even after mentioning it to the auction help.

I’ve found certain diameters of heater or manifold vacuum hose works well for the dial drive. Measure the distance between the pulley and the serrated edge of the dial plate for thickness and take the pulley to the auto store so you can match or get close to the thickness and ID of the hose.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks, Drop Top. Where are you in Tennessee?

I got a nice package in the mail on Saturday afternoon, just as the snow began to fall. It was a pair of 45's well wrapped in bubble wrap in a good cushy box, courtesy of Dennis K. over at ARF. They are both RCA Radiotron tubes with orange print on the bases. Both have paper labels stating when they were tested. One tested in 1933, and the other in 1938. Both test around 70% on my tester, and both of them come up fast when I apply power. I sure dont mind that they are not the globe style.

I just assumed the tall box was the transformer. I'd have seen whats what if I had gone ahead and pulled the cover off the bottom of the chassis.

Thanks for the information about the tuning system, too, and the repair proceedure. That will come in handy.

The new-to-me 45's are installed on the chassis. It looks better. Pictures to come.

One thing: There is a small bundle of wires coming up the right side of the chassis looking at it from the back of the set. I think there are 3 wires here. They are laying cut down the chassis and go into the set in the area of the UX-227 / 56 tube. Maybe its a phonograph input? It's not named in Ryders, and may have been added by someone. I'll find out when I take the chassis bottom cover off.

Last edited by holmesuser01; 12-05-2010 at 09:35 AM.