Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Samsung LN-T4053H 40" LCD Bad Caps

I picked up this set at GW for $40 with the tag "needs repair." It was exhibiting the clicking and no start-up as listed on BadCaps.net, so I thought, why not. Opened the back and immediately noticed 4 bulging 1000uF/10V caps in the power supply (replaced with 1000uF/25V). I had a mixture of United Chemi-con, Nichicon and Panasonic caps on hand, so that's what I used, even some film caps for the really small values. I figured, it was already opened up so might as well replace all those cheap caps in there even if they didn't show signs of bulging. The only 'lytic I didn't replace was the 220uF/450V main filter cap. Buttoned it up today and it works like a champ. Now to find a remote...

Before:

After:

Old 01-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Administrator

I have a 32" Samsung that had the same problem, put in some new caps and it's working fine.

Too bad you didn't post earlier, I just gave three extra remotes for it to the thrift store.
You should be able to find one easily enough, a lot of these sets died and the remotes wound up at the thrifts, that's where I got mine, look for one of the better ones with illuminated buttons.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm going to go back to the GW tomorrow and see if they put it on a shelf somewhere. Ours is pretty good about taping "extras" to what they came in with though, so I may have to go for a universal remote.

Do all the Samsungs work universally "in brand"?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheu02 View Post

Do all the Samsungs work universally "in brand"?
All the ones I had did, even the one from an old CRT set worked on the LCD for most common functions.

This is the one I have now, http://www.ebay.com/itm/BN59-01041A-...item4d176bc5fe
it would probably work on your set too, my set is a 32" from 2008, however if yours is newer and has special functions or Apps like Internet streaming then it may be different. I like it because the buttons light up when pressed and the Power button glows in the dark.

Edit: This one is supposed to be the correct one for your set.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Samsung-...item53d806a3c0

Guessing either one would work.