Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:49 PM
M is for Memory

I'd be interested in what era of Moto your dad was familiar with. They varied quite a bit by era. Their post-WWII to mid 50's sets were tanks that hold up well and are easy to restore. Their tube color sets were a bit weird but built like Zeniths. Their early modular SS sets WID (works in a drawer) Moto/Quasar modular chassis were long-lived, great performing, well-made tanks. I'm not very familiar with moto sets made after the mid 70's when NAP bought the Moto/Quasar name and started stuffing their own Japanese chassis in.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:08 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Plenty of people have shitty parents who don't care (and or have a very skewed perception of the value their loved ones place on their possessions).

A friend of mine was saving up after college to move out from his parent's house and speed up his escape plans after one day his mom came and totally rearranged his stuff while he was hanging out with me (I felt kinda bad about it). Worst yet along with the schematics for some projects he was working on and stuff she threw out a bunch of his college notes and textbooks (wasn't garbage day so he fished them out and got them back). (those college notes and text are valuable reference material. It is the second worse thing to throwing out your kid's college diploma IMO.) Their relationship was indeed very strained after that. I always thought she was a bossy OCD clean freak (granted I did not see her much), but after that, I thought she was a total bitch.
Fortunately for me I get no grief over what I drag home. "As long as you're happy" mom says. One of my sets has even performed daily duties in our living room for nearly two years now, with the chassis hanging out the back for most of that time. Once I'm able to implement my cap stuffing design and get other minor repairs done I can finally button it up. It's a rat's nest under there, it prevents me from sliding the chassis back in.

Even I have OCD but it doesn't stop me from bringing home things that are positively filthy; I just clean up myself and the item afterward. I'm obsessed about keeping stuff off the floor though; almost anything that contacts the floor has to be cleaned.

I know the bitch type very well. The females often use such behavior as a weapon in lieu of upper body strength. Not only do nasty parents risk their relationships with their offspring with such behavior, they also risk putting themselves on the bullet train to a rest home later on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtest View Post
I have the same issue with my mother to an extent. I'll be working on something and when I come back to my desk or small basement shop everything has moved around. With electronic items it's not a big deal usually, but when I'm doing watch repair and have a watch torn 100% down it can be an issue. Tools also go missing and get moved all over the place. Since putting a little shop in the basement this has pretty much stopped.

Really my mother just has a fixation on having new stuff, while my dad doesn't care. He grew up in a TV repair shop in Pittsburgh his dad had. He never learned about repairing sets but when certain sets come in he comments on how good or bad the set was back when new. Anything Zenith and RCA is liked, but brands like Admiral and Motorola are "cheap". Philco is "good but built real weird and a pain to work on". With newer sets he still really likes Zenith and always mentions how good the Sony trinitron was supposed to be.

Also if anyone is interested in any sets DM me about them.
Seems too many folks expect a mini-me when reproducing, and that rarely happens. The fixation on new stuff is what keeps China making junk and Westerners blindly buying it. As skilled as many of us are, none of us can fix ignorance.

Whatever happens now is your call man, but putting up no resistance can't possibly turn out well in the long run. We're not dealing with the Borg here.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would say, that since you will be leaving home for presumably four years, it may make sense to liquidate the collection, or find somewhere to store it.

Once you graduate, and you're on your own two feet, then you can go back to collecting. They are, after all, just old TVs, and not worth making a big scandal over. And you will need to focus on your studies for the next four years anyhow.

If you want to maintain some sort of electronics hobby, there's lots of interesting things which can easily fit into a shoe box to look into.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I'm not very familiar with moto sets made after the mid 70's when NAP bought the Moto/Quasar name and started stuffing their own Japanese chassis in.
It was Matsushita/Panasonic, not NAP. There's an old PBS documentary on this topic which covers it really well, I think it may be on YouTube now.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile

I see many of my fellow collectors share with me a similar story. I received little support from mom and dad. It was all about grades in school, and not a thing about " hey, maybe he can make a good living in electronics" repair, or whatever. THEN we moved from a seven room house with a large basement to a two bedroom apartment.. I don't think I need to relate what happened to my first radio and TV collection. Fiftyone years later, I have, for me, a nice bunch of vintage "junque", radios andTVs, AND a much more than tolerant wife. I DID anage to make a good living at electronic installation and repair of many types of equipment, but mostly within the bankng industry (alarms, video, etc.). I hope that one day you will be able to assembleacollection of TVsthat really appeal to you,and not harbor any feelings of ill will about what is is happening now.
Audiokarma
Old 08-12-2018, 11:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I'd be interested in what era of Moto your dad was familiar with. They varied quite a bit by era. Their post-WWII to mid 50's sets were tanks that hold up well and are easy to restore. Their tube color sets were a bit weird but built like Zeniths. Their early modular SS sets WID (works in a drawer) Moto/Quasar modular chassis were long-lived, great performing, well-made tanks. I'm not very familiar with moto sets made after the mid 70's when NAP bought the Moto/Quasar name and started stuffing their own Japanese chassis in.

I asked him about what era set he was familar with and he really didn't know. He was born in 1955, and his dad and uncle were both certified for TVs in 1959 (though they did repairs before then). They continued repairs until the early 70s give or take when less and less tube chassis came in.

Oh yes I have condensed the collection a lot. In the past couple months I have sold off around 30 stereo receivers, around 15 Tvs, stacks of computers. All sorts of stuff that have stacked up from doing years of repairs. Projects I didn't want to work on I donated to a private school around Chattanooga. The kids there never get their hand on old stuff and were thrilled to have vintage electronics.
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtest View Post
I asked him about what era set he was familar with and he really didn't know. He was born in 1955, and his dad and uncle were both certified for TVs in 1959 (though they did repairs before then). They continued repairs until the early 70s give or take when less and less tube chassis came in.

Oh yes I have condensed the collection a lot. In the past couple months I have sold off around 30 stereo receivers, around 15 Tvs, stacks of computers. All sorts of stuff that have stacked up from doing years of repairs. Projects I didn't want to work on I donated to a private school around Chattanooga. The kids there never get their hand on old stuff and were thrilled to have vintage electronics.
Great news. I could use some sales help of my own these days.

I too had parents who saw the value of tinkering eventually and allowed me to load up my 2nd floor bedroom and basement all through 8th grade to 12th. I keep reminding them, as they judge my hobby frivolous to this day, that the hobby kept me away from drugs, promiscuity and excessive drinking in the wrong company.

When I left for tech school, it all moved to a rodent-infested outbuilding circa 1983*, then I moved to Texas to take a job after tech school taking only a 19" Philco color and 23" Zenith 16Z8C50 along. Have the Philco yet, but sold the Zenith before I moved back.

I had a friend intervene in the purge and claw back some of my "valuable" portables and two RCA roundies I still own. MANY more - maybe 60 - sets were lost including an RCA CTC5 special, CTC7 also working and a CTC9 I hadn't yet recapped.
I did not buy my first home until 6 years later. My ex was indifferent so at least I could keep my stuff safe in the basement, attic and detached garage.

* REGRET NOTED: What I would have done had I been more passionate about it; rent a storage unit until you BUY a house, with main criteria being a detached outbuilding.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; Yesterday at 04:26 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Fortunately for me I get no grief over what I drag home. "As long as you're happy" mom says. One of my sets has even performed daily duties in our living room for nearly two years now, with the chassis hanging out the back for most of that time. Once I'm able to implement my cap stuffing design and get other minor repairs done I can finally button it up. It's a rat's nest under there, it prevents me from sliding the chassis back in.

Even I have OCD but it doesn't stop me from bringing home things that are positively filthy; I just clean up myself and the item afterward. I'm obsessed about keeping stuff off the floor though; almost anything that contacts the floor has to be cleaned.

I know the bitch type very well. The females often use such behavior as a weapon in lieu of upper body strength. Not only do nasty parents risk their relationships with their offspring with such behavior, they also risk putting themselves on the bullet train to a rest home later on.

Seems too many folks expect a mini-me when reproducing, and that rarely happens. The fixation on new stuff is what keeps China making junk and Westerners blindly buying it. As skilled as many of us are, none of us can fix ignorance.

Whatever happens now is your call man, but putting up no resistance can't possibly turn out well in the long run. We're not dealing with the Borg here.
Yours statements are really spot-on. I love the one about the "bullet train to the rest home".
The Golden Girls quote: Ma, I have two words for you, "Shady Pines".
Old Today, 12:11 AM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

My folks were extremely supportive of my TV hobby/business when I was a teen. My mom and dad would help me "forage" for sets at garage sales, swap meets, thrift stores etc. and would help me "load em up". I had a relatively large space in the garage that they let me use as a shop/display area and office, which was usually packed with sets. Some of the sets I acquired ended up in my parent's bedroom, my brother's bedroom, and my bedroom as daily use sets. I guess I was luckier than most.