Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2010, 03:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

'48 Mantola portable radio

I just received this Mantola (B.F. Goodrich) model R561 portable AC/DC/bettery operated 6 tube portable radio. For battery power, it uses one Eveready #743 "A" battery and two #762 "B" batteries. According to the schematic, early productions of this radio used a 3 gang tuning cap. Late production models used a 2 gang cap (osc. and ant.). The RF section uses a variable inductor. My radio is the late production model.

I've made no effort to power up this radio; but, it needs a new dial string and some of the rubber coated wiring needs to be replaced. The cabinet is in very good shape, considering it's a portable. IDK; but, the radio chassis looks like a rebadged Admiral.

As far as the batteries, I know that there are no economical direct replacements made; so, I'll rig up some modern batteries to operate this radio. I've seen some reproduction batteries that actually hold modern batteries, which I may look in to one day.

This looks like it will be a decent performer, once properly restored.