Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2015, 09:53 PM
Banned

Well I got the record player going finally, and was able to figure out why it had a hum to it, it was because the connector from the turntable to the amp lost its ground connection (the ground wire was completely missing from the RCA Plug all that was left on the plug was the solder) so I took and replaced the old cable with a new one I had laying around and the hum went away.

The only thing I can't figure out is how the tone control is supposed to work, because for some reason or another the tone control knob instead of it making the record player's audio sound more bass or treble sounding it raises and lowers the volume like a volume control knob does (even though it already has a volume control knob) any ideas as to what would be causing that?
The only thing I can think of that could be causing the tone control some issues is that it has 2 .0022 MFD 400 Volt paper caps attached to the control and that maybe those capacitors are causing the tone control knob some issues because of them being "leaky" but not sure.

Interestingly enough the record changer mechanism still works perfectly as found without any need to overhaul the unit, which is kind of interesting seeing as this record player was obviously stored in a shed or a barn part of its life...

Last edited by Captainclock; 08-21-2015 at 10:54 PM.