Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

What is this thing??? (1993 Philips/Magnavox)

Found something interesting at the VOA today... It is a Philips 13-inch TV, a Magnavox VCR and another component between them, all combined into one cabinet. The logos on the TV and VCR are blacked out. The middle component looks like it might have a 3-1/2" disk drive or some type of card reader. The middle component does not have any buttons or switches, or any other openings like a CD slot. The VCR and middle component share a common back panel. There is a symbol I don't recognize on the middle component, looks like an I and S over a triangle (see the last attachment). The plastic over the middle component seems unfinished at the bottom; maybe there was another part that was supposed to cover up the VCR.

The power and antenna connections for the TV go right into the middle/bottom part. That part has a single power cable, antenna input and keyboard jack that looks like an Ethernet port.

The TV's model number is DR1301 C101 and the VCR has a label with a model number of DR13VC R101. I would guess the second model number is for the whole contraption including the TV because the current rating is 1.4 amps for that; the TV's current rating is 1.0 amps. The TV has a manufacture date of December 1992, the other label says January 1993.

Any idea what this thing might be? I tried searching for the model number but only came up with remotes for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-07-03_16-47-09_304.jpg (132.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-07-03_16-47-23_570.jpg (45.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-07-03_16-47-40_763.jpg (65.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-07-03_16-47-47_475.jpg (126.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-07-03_16-48-21_107.jpg (95.6 KB, 81 views)
Old 07-03-2013, 11:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

This looks like something that would be for a hotel.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
This looks like something that would be for a hotel.
..or motel...
Old 07-04-2013, 12:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've worked in the hotel business for 26 years and that is not like anything I've ever seen.

Checking the patent numbers listed seems to indicate that it is part of some sort of remote control or programmable machine system. Maybe some kind of robotic camera. There are phone jacks on it which suggest it sends/receives data in some way.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:24 AM
M is for Memory

Maybe some sort of computer terminal that can store data on VHS?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 07-04-2013, 08:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Never seen one but my vote is also for hotel or institutional
set. Jack is prob. for controling features such as pay
movies, alarm etc.

73 Zeno
Old 07-04-2013, 01:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Security cam?
GMC TV, RCA Solid State
Pollenex Splash Dance, Aiwa HS-T25
Old 07-04-2013, 11:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think the patent numbers are just boilerplate that appear on their TV identification labels, I looked up a couple and they related to micro controllers and memory access. I don't think they are specific to this unit.

I was thinking maybe this was used for some kind of point of purchase display or kiosk. Hotel use seems less likely to me but is definitely possible. With only a 13-inch screen, maybe it would be a second TV in a suite.

Might have to go back and buy it just to see what is in there.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Note that it says Addressable Interface right next to the connector.

Smart PlugTM Two-Way Addressable Interface Port.

Allows for two-way communication between the set and a remote source. Compatible with all major premium entertainment services and third-party. control systems, Smart Plug eliminates confusing set-top boxes and makes it easy for guests to use interactive guest services.

Smart Plug two-way addressable interface allows for seamless connectivity with pay-per-view providers.

I may have had other functions, but I do not remember. Seems like it might all so have been designed for access to a service set up menu, but it ended up not being supported by the manufacturer or may be not.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well I did end up buying it but still don't know what it is. It turns out there is a board mounted in between the TV and VCR, but unfortunately it was disconnected and the cabling is missing. One of the connectors on the board is a 6-pin telephone jack, so I think that it was meant to be connected to the Addressable Interface Port on the TV. It probably turned the TV on and off. There is also a video input jack, two RF jacks connected together, the Cat5-style keyboard connector that is accessible from the outside and two other connectors.

The chips on the board were very interesting as well. There was a custom micro controller, a RAM chip, A/D converter connected to the keyboard jack, some logic chips (gates, decoders, counters, flip-flops) and some op-amps. There was also an FM receiver connected to the RF input, a closed caption decoder connected to the video input, a modulator chip (as used in a modem) connected to the RF input and a chip that is normally used in a remote control. There is a Kyocera piezo speaker. I could not quickly determine where the video output of the board was, I will try powering it up and scoping it.

The VCR displayed --:-- but would not turn on (I tried its buttons and every Magnavox and Philips code in my One For All Atlas remote). Upon opening it I found that there were some wires added to it, then cut. My guess is that the remote control chip on the board connected to the infrared remote input on the VCR and maybe the VCR controls were deliberately disabled. The VCR had a copy of To Kill A Mockingbird in it.

The TV turned on with the first Philips code in my remote. It was set to channel 3 and I found that I could change channels, but could not go back to 3 because it was locked out. When I pulled the plug, plugged it in again and turned it on again, it was back on channel 3.

The power supply board was labeled "MED-NET INTERFACE" and the other board was labeled "DU CONTROLLER".
Audiokarma
Old 07-12-2013, 08:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

BTW there is no card reader or components of any sort in the front half of the cabinet under the TV. The DU Controller board is towards the back and the power supply board is mounted vertically, behind the VCR.

Originally the Antenna In on the unit was one of the RF jacks on the DU controller board, and the other jack on the board was only accessible internally, but the original external jack was broken off and replaced with a panel-mount jack. The panel-mount jack was connected to a short length of coax, then to the VCR's antenna input. The antenna output on the VCR went right to the TV.

My guess is originally, the external Antenna In was the DU controller jack, the other DU controller jack went to the VCR's Antenna In and there was probably an RF modulator (now missing) used for the TV (unless the Addressable Interface can transfer audio/video, which I doubt).
Old 07-12-2013, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

It just occurred to me, maybe the DU controller does not even output video, maybe the TV just displays the video from the VCR!

I did some research on the Addressable Interface/Smart Port/Data Communication Module (DCM) interface. It turns out that it was supported by Philips/Magnavox, but only for two purposes:
1. You can connect a device called a SmartLoader (Clon99-BK) to the port. Its purpose is to clone custom setup settings (channel configuration, volume and function restrictions, etc.) from one TV to another. This way, a hotel or other institution could set up one TV, then clone its settings to other TVs. The SmartLoader uses the TV's character generator and remote sensor. You use the TV remote to select functions which then appear on screen.
2. You can connect the TV to a pay-per-view interface like a LodgeNet box. The box then gets access to the TV's remote sensor and character generator, and the box can control TV functions like power, volume and channel settings. The box needs a separate connection for audio/video (either an RF connection or some form of video connection).

So maybe the DU controller just superimposes text on the video which is supplied by the VCR (its channel 3 output being connected directly to the TV's input). The closed caption decoder on the DU controller could be used to sync the on-screen text with the video contents. Or, maybe the DU controller is just used to control the TV and VCR instead of a remote.

Next I need to come up with a cable and connect the DU controller to the TV, and see what happens....
Old 07-14-2013, 10:56 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Definitely special-purpose... No idea. Maybe part of a security camera setup, or maybe something from a car dealership for showing or ordering custom stuff?

Charles
Old 07-14-2013, 11:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Med net? Why do I think this is for ultrasound videos. :/
Old 07-15-2013, 11:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well it could be "MEDia" instead of "MEDical" but who knows...

I was able to whip up a connector for the addressable interface using two Dymo label printer serial cords and a null modem - I did verify it was a straight connection for all six conductors. Then I powered it up with the board connected to the TV. I could still power the TV up with the remote, but there was no audio or video. I think this is as far as I can get without whatever is supposed to connect to the Keyboard port; that probably contained the power switch.

Next I think I will get the TV out of institutional mode, there is plenty of information out there on how to do that.
Audiokarma