Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-25-2004, 09:36 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

To think that was so close to me!!!! I had just about given up on local pickin's, and you show me this!!! As I've told you before, I found almost that exact same set, in the same neighborhood, around 1985-ish. The old lady came outside when we picked it up, and told us the set came from a local bar. I hauled it to a friend's house on a wagon and we plugged it in.

It produced a horizontal line.

Even then I knew if the CRT was good, it could be fixed. However, that was about the last ime I ever hung-out with that friend, and I never saw the set again.

Good show old man!
Old 10-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Once Ran Amok in Kent

OK...clue in the clueless. What's special about this set?
The good deeds a man has done before defend him.
--Bhagavad-Gita
Old 10-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoWars
OK...clue in the clueless. What's special about this set?
Well it's a very early color set (1956?) with only the CTC4 and CTC2 (i.e. CT-100) before it.
They are very hard to come by and usually cost quite a bit if you do find one.
Finding one by the curb is probably a once in a lifetime happening at this late date. Having it work at all is astounding!

This one looks like it still has the metal/glass CRT?
Old 10-25-2004, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmoody
Ok guys, Here's what I have so far. After a soft start the 'lytics are cool and the tv actually produces a picture!
That's incredible!

Are you sure the garage sale was over, they weren't just inside getting a sandwich or something?
Old 10-26-2004, 07:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

What a great find. and it works. the stand is neat. some of the rcas had a antenna built into the stand but not sure if they did it with color sets.
the super chassis is a good runner.
{ lolli pop????}
Audiokarma
Old 10-26-2004, 07:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

There was a guy on ebay recently selling picture tubes and old tv's and he always babbled about the excellent "lollipop" color that they had and how he "cut his teeth" on all the old roundies. What this meant to me is he must have been chewing on them instead of repairing them!
Old 10-26-2004, 10:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

The '5' is special to me because its the oldest color set I have. It is amazing that they work as good as they do, considering the techology at the time. Hats off to the engineers on the RCA staff in the 50s. RCA really pushed color that year, at least going by print ads I've seen. I'll agree, to find a CTC-5 today, on the curb, is amazing! Heck, I still have to pinch myself that I found mine 10 years ago. (and it cost me a hundred bucks)
Old 10-26-2004, 12:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well here it is back on the stand with the tape removed from the glass. The tape had been on there a long, long time and took a razor blade and goo gone to remove! I decided to just do adjustments to the set as it has an acceptable picture now and I want to leave this one all original. I will only occasionally turn it on and keep the run time short. From what I can see, Only one tube has been replaced, This has to be a low hour set...
Old 10-26-2004, 01:50 PM
On Land

Man that's absolutely amazing! Finding a 5 on the curb... only one tube replaced... good 21AXP... nice looking condition... and it works! Hell even if you had to give them the 40 bucks for it... it still would have been more than worth it!

I bet this makes you drive around the old neighborhood more often!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Around here you usually find something that is worn out and beat up or little used and clean. There is no in between for whatever reason...
Audiokarma
Old 10-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Doncha wish sometimes this old stuff could talk? I'd bet this old guy could tell us some stories..but looks like he's had a good life w/the exception of when he was put out on the curb.But then, this wonderful, nice man come along & rescued him.Originally, only watched by a little old lady on Sundays to see the "Wonderful World of Color", right after church....<grin>-Sandy G.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Captain,

As a member noted, it might be fun to check with the previous owners and see what the history of this set is. Maybe there's some original paper work stashed in a drawer somewhere. Also, there's a nice brocure picture and a discription of the Aldrich that mentions the available matching stand. Check the CTC-5 section of my web site.

http://community.webtv.net/stevetek/StevesCT100
Old 10-26-2004, 08:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's funny that you mentioned that, I went over to the house I got it from tonight just to see what the story was (I had to know!) The lady answered the door was suprised that it got picked up! She said she offered it to every one she knew and no luck.
Here is the story, She and her husband saw it at an estate sale a few years ago and bought it because it "looked cool and worked" They wanted to do a 50's room in the basement but another baby came along and that project never happened. So the RCA sat in the garage until the hubby just got sick of looking at it and put it on the curb!
They couldn't remember where they got it from or any history on it, Not even a manual or old sales bill...
They weren't even sure if it was from the fifties!
Old 10-26-2004, 11:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Congrats on the find! Looking at the set makes me appreciate those old NON-BONDED crt's. No ring aroung the edge. The only thing I drug home from 2 streets away was a CTC-38 with a toasted flyback and busted neck. But, it was chock full of Radio Shack lifetime guaranteed tubes (6JE6, 6DW4, 6GH8's, 3A3, etc).
Old 10-28-2004, 11:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bloody awsome find mate!!!! That is a great find, and it working is a bonus!!!! Good one!!!

Closest I found to an old TV over here in Australia when I go junk hunting on the streets is the front face of a late 50s/early 60s B&W set which was probably an early Philips, Astor or AWA brand, I didn't take it as at the time it wasn't on my priority of wants, I was looking for vintage videotapes containing early Aussie shows of the 70s at the time. One of my luckiest finds on the street however was a 1979 PYE VCR1780 (Philips N1702) VCR machine, well actually my mate found it and took it back to his shed and called me up and I have it in my collection, the video heads are stuffed unfortunately but I just keep it as a collectors piece.

Anyways glad you got your CTC-5 displaying a picture and best of luck with the restoration on the set.