Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 06-22-2018, 11:36 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rye89 View Post
I got a used stacking side loader washer/dryer early this year, Whirlpool made Maytag (washer made in Germany, Dryer in USA) from '08 and I like them better than my old conventional set. The washer did throw an error code once a few weeks ago, but the voltage was a bit low across the whole house. It was built in the era of bad capacitors, So I might have a look inside of it when I replace the floor in my laundry room (and have the dryer off of it)

I'm not worried about the door seal in mine, as it doesn't run the water that high. also the lack of an agitator is great for bedspreads and stuff
I didn't think the Whirlpool-Maytag merger was that early!
My sister had a Sears Kenmore pair, where one of the machines was German made. She kept a maintenance agreement on them. Had the door gasket on it replaced twice.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 06-22-2018, 05:45 PM
davet753's Avatar
davet753 davet753 is offline
David Thomas
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 398
I'm pretty sure Whirlpool closed down the Newton plant in 2007. Maytag (before the Whirlpool take over) actually manufactured two completely different lines of laundry equipment. The Newton, Iowa plant (their original) turned out the regular Maytag "Dependable Care" line and commercial coin-op machines. When Maytag bought out Norge, they kept the laundry plant in Herrin, Illinois. The Illinois plant turned out Norge, Crosley, Admiral, Magic Chef, and Performa brands. Sadly, Whirlpool shut it down, too. Even the low end stuff from the Herrin plant had an edge on Whirlpool (belt drive, 3/4 h.p. motors, 22 lb. capacity), but the plant was old and needed updating.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 06-23-2018, 12:24 AM
user181 user181 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I didn't think the Whirlpool-Maytag merger was that early!

Took place in 2006. The Neptune product line basically did the company in.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 06-23-2018, 11:16 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by davet753 View Post
I'm pretty sure Whirlpool closed down the Newton plant in 2007. Maytag (before the Whirlpool take over) actually manufactured two completely different lines of laundry equipment. The Newton, Iowa plant (their original) turned out the regular Maytag "Dependable Care" line and commercial coin-op machines. When Maytag bought out Norge, they kept the laundry plant in Herrin, Illinois. The Illinois plant turned out Norge, Crosley, Admiral, Magic Chef, and Performa brands. Sadly, Whirlpool shut it down, too. Even the low end stuff from the Herrin plant had an edge on Whirlpool (belt drive, 3/4 h.p. motors, 22 lb. capacity), but the plant was old and needed updating.
It was just in the news this week where they want to tear down the GM Janesville, Wi plant. GM spent around 170 Million on updates before closing it down. Corporate thinking!
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 06-23-2018, 11:28 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
Took place in 2006. The Neptune product line basically did the company in.
That was just one nail in the coffin. The Maytag product line always sold for a little more money, but they had a lot of repeat ownership.
That's why Whirlpool didn't drop the branding.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #81  
Old 06-24-2018, 08:30 AM
Colly0410 Colly0410 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hucknall, Nottingham, England.
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Was that a US made Easy brand. Easy spin driers were designed like that. Most of the owner's liked them rather well.
I think it was a Hotpoint, not sure where it was made, would be 1960's/early 70's Mam had it. IIRC there were 3 popular makes of twintubs = Hotpoint, Service & Hoover..
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 06-24-2018, 11:24 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
I think it was a Hotpoint, not sure where it was made, would be 1960's/early 70's Mam had it. IIRC there were 3 popular makes of twintubs = Hotpoint, Service & Hoover..
In the US, the Hotpoint line is the slightly lower priced GE appliance line. They even sold Hotpoint TV's for a few years. Rebadged GE's.
The British Hotpoint line used the same logo as our products, so there must be a connection. There were radios made in Australia badged Hotpoint.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.