Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Modern lube for old turntables?

Is there any kind of a comprehensive list of modern lubricants to sub for old ones which are no longer made?
All the old tt lube charts I've seen call for products that are no longer available.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2021, 09:49 PM
M is for Memory

I typically use white lithium grease on greased surfaces (clean the old gunk off with lighter fluid or isopropyl) and 3 in 1 on the lighter oiled areas....works pretty good on 50s-70s changers.

If the motor is bound up sometimes you have to unbolt the top and bottom bearings clean the old gunk with lighter fluid then oil and reassemble... Tighten screws slowly, and spin motor shaft each screw turn, if motor shaft binds tap side of motor with screw driver handle to in stick and once unstuck proceed. Motor should spin freely by hand and not immediately stop when you let go when reassembled properly.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-12-2021, 02:34 PM
Motorola Minion

Motors should be lubricated with Supco "turbine oil" mainly because it is thinner and penetrates the bearing cups more thoroughly after cleaning them really well as noted above. HVAC supply houses will carry this as it is intended for small fan motors which spin faster and shaded-pole motors used in many things including older record players.

I have found that using this oil only on the motor and any pulley shafts will prolong any restoration. Using light household oil on shafts is fine but in a motor, it tends to accumulate excess and attract dirt, slowing the motor.

A motor is properly assembled if it spins for more than 5 seconds after power is removed.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Motors should be lubricated with Supco "turbine oil" mainly because it is thinner and penetrates the bearing cups
Is this the same as what we used to call spindle oil?

John
Old 03-30-2021, 12:05 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
Is this the same as what we used to call spindle oil?

John
Oops sorry, did not see this till today. It is called "turbine oil" but I guess a spindle is considered a higher-rpm application. I just used some to reactivate an electric clock motor in a https://www.collectorsweekly.com/sto...-model-851-clo Tymeter, and its been keeping time since.

I recall using 3 in 1 and other general household oils on small fan motors, shaded pole motors like record players - etc only to find the motor "stuck" again if not used regularly. Those multi-purpose oils seem to be intended to fill bearing caps on larger motors or stop binds or squeaks.

Record players need either Phonolube on the platter bearing/shaft and Phonolube is GC's version of white lithium based AKA "lubriplate". But if its a motor or pulley shaft, just a tiny drop of turbine oil will do.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 03-30-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-24-2021, 09:38 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Motors should be lubricated with Supco "turbine oil" mainly because it is thinner and penetrates the bearing cups more thoroughly after cleaning them really well as noted above. HVAC supply houses will carry this as it is intended for small fan motors which spin faster and shaded-pole motors used in many things including older record players.

I have found that using this oil only on the motor and any pulley shafts will prolong any restoration. Using light household oil on shafts is fine but in a motor, it tends to accumulate excess and attract dirt, slowing the motor.

A motor is properly assembled if it spins for more than 5 seconds after power is removed.
Depends on the changer. Duals use Shell Gadus, chain oil, and 10w machine oil as per manual.