Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:43 AM
BigDavesTV

Latest Find! Toshiba 12" Color Portable

This weekend, I scored a Toshiba 12" Color Tube Portable set, from about 1970-'71. It's a heavy little thing, needs a good cleaning, but is complete except for the VHF Built-In Antennas, which do me no good anyway! It has a raster and sound, needs tuner and control cleaning very badly, but I haven't even looked inside yet. More later, as I get around to working on this one. As found picture attached!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toshiba_Color_prelim.jpg (128.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 10-31-2016, 11:48 AM
M is for Memory

Nice find!

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-31-2016, 02:08 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Sweet! I got a Toshiba portable this weekend too, but it's a mod set with varactor tuning from 1980. I'd love to see the guts of this one.

I have a set of service manuals that likely covers it. Once you find out what chassis it has I'll try to look it up.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Not a big Japanese TV fan, but I like it. Is that a slider for the tint on top?
Old 11-01-2016, 12:16 PM
BigDavesTV

Toshiba Color Portable, TINT Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
Not a big Japanese TV fan, but I like it. Is that a slider for the tint on top?
Yes, its a slider for TINT, cool looking, isn't it? The COLOR level control, is a pot., below the pull-on-off-volume control, barely noticeable. Four more picture controls, are behind a flip-open door, lower R/H corner, below the tuner, speaker grill. Inside it are: Horiz. & Vert. holds, Contrast and Brightness pots, plastic knurled shafts, no knobs on them.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavesTV View Post
This weekend, I scored a Toshiba 12" Color Tube Portable set, from about 1970-'71. It's a heavy little thing, needs a good cleaning, but is complete except for the VHF Built-In Antennas, which do me no good anyway! It has a raster and sound, needs tuner and control cleaning very badly, but I haven't even looked inside yet. More later, as I get around to working on this one. As found picture attached!
The only ones, I worked on at the time were "Sears" branded. They had less tubes in them than the earlier models, as more circuits were solid state.
The Toshiba's were probably the same.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:11 PM
BigDavesTV

Toshiba 12" Color Portable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The only ones, I worked on at the time were "Sears" branded. They had less tubes in them than the earlier models, as more circuits were solid state.
The Toshiba's were probably the same.
I have a couple Sears 15" Color Portable sets, quite a few tubes in them, but they both are Sanyo. this is my first Toshiba color of any kind, and I worked on a couple, similar to this one, over 35 years ago. I was thrilled to find this set, all small color portables are hard to find, but the Japanese sets even less common, in my opinion. I don't know exactly why I find them so fascinating, but I always have! Even "back in the day" when one would come through our shop, and most would gripe about it, and we all knew the "pains" of them, but I still wanted to play with (read: work on it, even then! I also remember finding a 15" Sanyo color in the dump, when I was around 12 or 13! I hope to have a few minutes to open this one, soon, and take some pictures, check the CRT, etc. More to follow later, stay tuned!
Old 11-01-2016, 02:13 PM
M is for Memory

The Japanese sets had a refreshingly different approach to design, that could be nice or a pain depending on what broke and how. I've got 2-4 waiting turns on the bench.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-02-2016, 03:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quite uncommon--Any Japanese color set in UK with tubes.

I can only recall the Sanyo and the Teleton. The Sanyo used Euro valves often dual Euro/USA number marked, the Teleton completely American numbers, some Compactrons no known Euro equivalent tube.

There may have been more, but those are the only two I ever saw, probably as we got color so late on. Some places didn't get color till the 70's!
Old 11-02-2016, 04:21 PM
Followin' the Rules...

NEC, JVC/Nivico, Panasonic, Toshiba and Sanyo all had tube sets here in the 60s - Sanyo and NEC doubly so, with Sears-badged NECs, and Sanyos rebadged for Sears and Channel Master. Sharp had some B/W sets, but I never saw a color, so I can't confirm.

The NEC sets had a huge power tranny - I used to save them from junker sets for a ham friend. They also had troublesome tapped power resistors that would corrode the connections right off. Clean up the connection, re-solder, and that was all it took to fix the set.

The JVCs I saw were botched jobs, with the UHF tuners being really oddball monstrosities. It was like the set was made first for the Japanese market, and a UHF tuner added on hastily to market them in the states.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 11-07-2016, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=Findm-Keepm;3172757]NEC, JVC/Nivico, Panasonic, Toshiba and Sanyo all had tube sets here in the 60s - Sanyo and NEC doubly so, with Sears-badged NECs, and Sanyos rebadged for Sears and Channel Master. Sharp had some B/W sets, but I never saw a color, so I can't confirm.

[/QUOTE

Last edited by roundscreen; 11-07-2016 at 07:07 PM. Reason: wrong year
Old 11-02-2016, 06:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great catch! Congratulations.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:07 AM
Not sure how I got here.

I had one of those little buggers years ago. There is another Sears branded one posted
here last year. Same set, Low voltage focus tube. Picture quality same as an early
port-a-color GE set. There are only about 5 transistors in that set, the rest are tubes.
If I remember right, it keeps the filaments warm when turned off...... Still very nicely
built on the inside. Well worth keeping.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
I had one of those little buggers years ago. There is another Sears branded one posted
here last year. Same set, Low voltage focus tube. Picture quality same as an early
port-a-color GE set. There are only about 5 transistors in that set, the rest are tubes.
If I remember right, it keeps the filaments warm when turned off...... Still very nicely
built on the inside. Well worth keeping.

They had a little better picture than the first Porta-Colors. The Toshiba CRT had a finer dot pitch. The 11WP22 equipped Porta-Colors were about equal.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:27 PM
Mark

Awesome find! I have a Sears branded one, unfortunately it fell off of a shelf and sustained damage to the top trim piece across the top of the cabinet front section. I don't know what I'm gonna do with it now....
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Audiokarma