Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-01-2023, 11:17 PM
Hobbyist

need pinout on cd5151cp

I found the pinout and even a guy who has modded one. It looks like I connect to pin 5 and another that I cant quite determine. Though which pins would I connect to for sound?

https://www.retroginger.com/b-w-port...or-conversion/
Attached Images
File Type: png 5151IC-1024x389.png (88.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Airedale; 10-02-2023 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sound input? In these TV's, the entire amplifier is external, with a small IC or some TO-92 trasistors. Follow the volume control backwards for injecting input. The IC only detects the FM sound IF.

Last edited by Alex KL-1; 10-02-2023 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
I found the pinout and even a guy who has modded one. It looks like I connect to pin 5 and another that I cant quite determine. Though which pins would I connect to for sound?

https://www.retroginger.com/b-w-port...or-conversion/
If you look at the pinout of the chip, there are small arrows on two pins which would determine signal outputs. Pin 5 would be your detected video (composite) out and pin 11 would be your audio signal out.

If you want to connect external audio/video connections, you first need to make sure you don't have a hot ground issue

Without a schematic, it's hard to know exactly how to tap into this (you probably need resistors to ground if you open the pins), but you might get away with just tapping the audio and video in (second wires for both go to cold ground for the jungle IC) with a couple of coupling capacitors right on top of the audio and video output pins.

John

EDIT: if this is strictly a TV, you would have to disable the tuner/IF section if you want to try tapping in your AV inputs right over the output pins of the IC.

Last edited by JohnCT; 10-03-2023 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-03-2023, 10:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ahh, video... great possibility, the pin 5. To discover, track down it. It will be some R and caps, coupling to a video output transistor. Also will have a 4.5MHz ceramic filter, to direct SIF back to IC. Also, will be a R/C PROBABLY to pin 6 (sync).
I have one TV using this IC. Only I need to have some time to disassembly it and confirm that.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:04 PM
Hobbyist

No worries, I'm canning the project. It's above my head, I'll just use the o.e 3.5mm Jack as my input.
Audiokarma
Old 10-04-2023, 06:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datash...IC/AN5151.html
This TV (CD5151) IC is a clone of these from Matsushita (AN5151). Schematic for IC circuits in pdf page 4 (last page; page 123 in the original Matsushita doc).
Old 10-04-2023, 09:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
No worries, I'm canning the project. It's above my head, I'll just use the o.e 3.5mm Jack as my input.
Wait, the TV already has AV inputs??

John
Old 10-05-2023, 02:34 AM
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
Wait, the TV already has AV inputs??

John

It has a 3.5mm input jack, but I wanted to bypass the tuner for a (hopefully) better picture.
Old 10-05-2023, 08:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
It has a 3.5mm input jack, but I wanted to bypass the tuner for a (hopefully) better picture.
So the 3.5mm being an RF input and not A/V?

John
Old 10-05-2023, 09:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

If you change the mind and want to implement the inputs:

For video: you can isolate the pin 5 and feed all subsequent circuits. You feed using a 47µF capacitor from the Video line (the video line terminated with a 75 resistor at RCA teminals). The positive of capacitor will connect to TV circuits; the negative, you connect to central RCA pin (the cable signal). But, the sync separator will be without DC bias, and the video followe (if TV have one). SOlution: you connect a 10k resistor from the positive of this capacitor (the TV internal video circuit) to ground, AND another 10k resistor from this same signal point to the IC +B (pin 20). Then the video operation will be fully correct.

Not forget to ground the video cable ground (to TV signal grond). You can use anything connected to the tuner case (for simplicity).

For audio, you isolate the pin 11, and inject the audio for the following circuits. No bias needed, and no caps etc. Just direct.