Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-29-2023, 04:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looking for some help! RCA 13" AC/DC Mobile TV Model E13345

Hi everyone!

My name is Charlie and I joined the forums today looking for some help. I picked up a small 13" RCA CRT from the side of the road the other day and didn't realize until I got it home that the cord was cut. More importantly, however, is that it seems to be a bit of a special little guy with a proprietary cord. I consulted my father who pointed out that because this is an AC/DC TV it is likely the cause for the detachable power cable and likewise the four-prong set-up.

Below are some photos of the TV itself, the cord end, and the backside with all of the TV's info on it. I was wondering if anyone might know of where I could get one of these cables, or if there is any advice on possibly splicing a new cord onto it, though I want to be safe and would leave that in the hands of someone skilled at this sort of thing (which I am not).

I'm looking for something small like this to simply play my older game consoles on. More importantly I'd like to avoid putting it back to the side of the road if I can help it, which is why I'm looking for options rather than totally getting rid of it.

Thanks for any help you may have! Forgive me for being new and it my posting etiquette is a bit shoddy (I tried adding the TV details in the title per the mention by one of the moderators in one of the introduction thread posts).

https://ibb.co/tqHVXKf
https://ibb.co/v4FMRT4
https://ibb.co/WFVYznB
https://ibb.co/vHNchJ0
Old 04-30-2023, 11:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

RCA power cord

Carefully carve away the insulation from the cord and connector and try to spice a temporary line cord to see if it works, before you try to locate a replacement cord. It's a rather common cord used on RCA and GE sets for about 5 years, mid to late 90's and early 2000's.
Also, look at the connector and the two top pins are the 120 volt pins.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you for the advice! Despite having the cord cut, the person who set it out to the curb included a piece of painter's tape on the top with 'WORKS FINE' written on it, so I'm hopeful it functions okay. Admittedly I don't even have the know-how to do that little bit of splicing work nor a donor cord to use. Knowing it's actually a common cord used for a few years is encouraging at least, I really do appreciate finding that out. My Google searches thus far have been sort of useless since I don't really know what to look for or how to describe it adequately.
Old 05-01-2023, 12:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Donahue View Post
Thank you for the advice! Despite having the cord cut, the person who set it out to the curb included a piece of painter's tape on the top with 'WORKS FINE' written on it, so I'm hopeful it functions okay. Admittedly I don't even have the know-how to do that little bit of splicing work nor a donor cord to use. Knowing it's actually a common cord used for a few years is encouraging at least, I really do appreciate finding that out. My Google searches thus far have been sort of useless since I don't really know what to look for or how to describe it adequately.
Stick around here! Some collector probably has one.
Some thrift stores have a cord bin. I got a few from the Habitat for Humanity Restore Shop. They keep the power cord for items that don't work, etc and have them for sale.
I would try to find a cord, as the set has a dual power supply.
State your location! Dave
Old 05-01-2023, 04:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Stick around here! Some collector probably has one.
Some thrift stores have a cord bin. I got a few from the Habitat for Humanity Restore Shop. They keep the power cord for items that don't work, etc and have them for sale.
I would try to find a cord, as the set has a dual power supply.
State your location! Dave
Ahh that's a great idea regarding the thrift stores! Thank you! Honestly I would prefer to give this guy more life rather than see it go back to a landfill, so that's what's keeping me on the hunt. I'm located in Michigan, in the southeast Thumb but soon to move up to the northeast corner of the LP.
Audiokarma
Old 05-01-2023, 07:57 PM
blast, blast...

Regarding the male end of that plug in the chassis: The AC only goes into two of those four pins. And, 12VDC goes into the other two.

If you don't get those right you might blow part of the circuit by putting 120VAC where it shouldn't go.

That type of plug goes back to at least the AC/DC sets of the mid 80's (CTC115 chassis, particularly). Not sure if they are compatible but the idea is the same.

While I worked on several in the early 2000's I don't have a schematic for the TX808 chassis. You may be able to pull the chassis and trace it out to figure where the AC is supposed to land.

Wish I could be of more help. Good luck with your repair and your project!

Last edited by Blast; 05-01-2023 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Regarding the male end of that plug in the chassis: The AC only goes into two of those four pins. And, 12VDC goes into the other two.

If you don't get those right you might blow part of the circuit by putting 120VAC where it shouldn't go.

That type of plug goes back to at least the AC/DC sets of the mid 80's (CTC115 chassis, particularly). Not sure if they are compatible but the idea is the same.

While I worked on several in the early 2000's I don't have a schematic for the TX808 chassis. You may be able to pull the chassis and trace it out to figure where the AC is supposed to land.

Wish I could be of more help. Good luck with your repair and your project!
I appreciate the heads up about the AC/DC split--that was actually the biggest reason I didn't want to haphazardly attempt a splicing given my limited knowledge.

Thank you for that advice nonetheless--this is certainly helpful I think my first goal will be to see if I can find a replacement cord, so that will be the current hope and I'll only consider any sort of splice attempt--or have someone else attempt it--if all hope seems lost for a cord, haha.
Old 05-13-2023, 09:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Donahue View Post
I appreciate the heads up about the AC/DC split--that was actually the biggest reason I didn't want to haphazardly attempt a splicing given my limited knowledge.

Thank you for that advice nonetheless--this is certainly helpful I think my first goal will be to see if I can find a replacement cord, so that will be the current hope and I'll only consider any sort of splice attempt--or have someone else attempt it--if all hope seems lost for a cord, haha.
I found out that there's a slight difference between the sets built in 2000 and the ones built in 1995-1998. Pin spacing and pin diameter. I'm still looking in my stash.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I found out that there's a slight difference between the sets built in 2000 and the ones built in 1995-1998. Pin spacing and pin diameter. I'm still looking in my stash.
I appreciate mentioning that specificity, and especially thank you for continuing to look! I'd be happy to buy it from you if you do find one that will work. I'm a bit at a loss currently on my own end but I'm still holding on to the little guy for the time-being.
Old 11-03-2023, 11:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA AC/DC TV cord.

Yes if there is a short amount of cord you can splice a new power cord in it's place.

The connector is dual purpose one wiring for AC different wiring for DC.

Chances are 95% it's an AC cord.

Bringing up on a variac is recommended.

Source:Taught technicians at RCA for 12 years.

Very sensitive tuner.
Audiokarma