Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:09 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Cargo area comparison photo below. That half-lowered tailgate on the GM was rather misleading.
My buddy has a 75 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon. It's got that clamshell rear door, in fact, it's the same car as in that picture. It's pretty cool. His car is in great shape, it was a one (elderly) owner, garage kept until he bought it in like 2010 or so. Can you imagine, that old man bought this car in 1975 when he was 65 years old, for a retirement car, and lived to be 90-something to sell the car 30-some years later? Sadly, my friend keeps it locked up in his garage and it hasn't been out or running for many years. But I'm sure it's still in the same excellent shape.

Those wagons are so rare on the road nowadays, that one time I saw one totally identical to his parked on a street somewhere, and I pulled over and called him to make sure nobody had stolen his car!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Olds03.jpg (105.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-17-2019, 05:47 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
My buddy has a 75 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon. It's got that clamshell rear door, in fact, it's the same car as in that picture. It's pretty cool. His car is in great shape, it was a one (elderly) owner, garage kept until he bought it in like 2010 or so. Can you imagine, that old man bought this car in 1975 when he was 65 years old, for a retirement car, and lived to be 90-something to sell the car 30-some years later? Sadly, my friend keeps it locked up in his garage and it hasn't been out or running for many years. But I'm sure it's still in the same excellent shape.

Those wagons are so rare on the road nowadays, that one time I saw one totally identical to his parked on a street somewhere, and I pulled over and called him to make sure nobody had stolen his car!
A friend inherited his Grandfather's house and car and it was a 70's olds (IIRC a 1977-8 Cutlass). He lives in the house with the original furnishings plus a bunch of MCM stuff he collects, and he let the car rot in a storage locker for over a decade. Another friend helped him get it back to roadworthy recently, though it probably isn't driven much. Ironically the same car in a different color has been rotting worse outside in that same storage complex.

My grandma also had a late 70's olds sedan in the 90's...One winter something grazed the side, it got rusty fast and she traded it for a Buick.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-29-2019, 01:33 AM
Convergence freak!

Had a 2005 Corvette. Got sick of the wife complaining. Got her '12 Prius and she has a Lincoln MKT. For the hauling, 2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV. Long wheelbase!

I still can fit quite alot of equipment in the back of the Prius thou. Just lost a little manhood...
Old 08-29-2019, 09:59 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I guess I orta sell my Ginormous Y2K Ford Excursion. Don't use it much anymore, the wife has a Touareg, the Ferd gets 8-10 MPG in town, a ROUSING 14-15 on the hiway, but I just CAN'T... Didn't realize when I ordered it, that it would be my "Lifetime" car, but it is. I'm 62, have no income anymore, except Soash Security & Disability, basically can't afford ANY new car, LIKE th' damthing, made noises about sellin' it about a year back, got looked at w/Daggers by Bethany-I taught her how to drive in it when she was 8,9-its PAID For, can't get a new one, it ain't worth nothin' now-MAYBE $3500-Maybe, according to Bethany's husband, shit, may as well just KEEP it...Always wished Bethany & her brood would have it to ride around in, playin' w toys 'n' stuff in its gigantic Maw, but now, the Safety Nazis decree you have to be virtually BOLTED in place, lest ye be turned into Hamburger in the Horrible Wreck that is just over the horizon...Jeez-Oh-Pete, I Rode around in Pick ups in the beds of 'em for most of my life, & worst thing that happened was a Bug smacked me in the forehead oncet or 2X..
Old 08-29-2019, 11:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakaftr8 View Post
Had a 2005 Corvette. Got sick of the wife complaining. Got her '12 Prius and she has a Lincoln MKT. For the hauling, 2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV. Long wheelbase!

I still can fit quite alot of equipment in the back of the Prius thou. Just lost a little manhood...
Way back, when the Ford Mustang first came out, it was tagged as a Woman's car. Not too much today!
My 2011 Prius is my daily driver. I consider it to be an Electrician's car or Electronic Techs car. I do have two Jeeps and a Dakota pickup, if that a redeeming quality.
Audiokarma
Old 08-29-2019, 11:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I guess I orta sell my Ginormous Y2K Ford Excursion. Don't use it much anymore, the wife has a Touareg, the Ferd gets 8-10 MPG in town, a ROUSING 14-15 on the hiway, but I just CAN'T... Didn't realize when I ordered it, that it would be my "Lifetime" car, but it is. I'm 62, have no income anymore, except Soash Security & Disability, basically can't afford ANY new car, LIKE th' damthing, made noises about sellin' it about a year back, got looked at w/Daggers by Bethany-I taught her how to drive in it when she was 8,9-its PAID For, can't get a new one, it ain't worth nothin' now-MAYBE $3500-Maybe, according to Bethany's husband, shit, may as well just KEEP it...Always wished Bethany & her brood would have it to ride around in, playin' w toys 'n' stuff in its gigantic Maw, but now, the Safety Nazis decree you have to be virtually BOLTED in place, lest ye be turned into Hamburger in the Horrible Wreck that is just over the horizon...Jeez-Oh-Pete, I Rode around in Pick ups in the beds of 'em for most of my life, & worst thing that happened was a Bug smacked me in the forehead oncet or 2X..
Every time I see the news, there seems to be a big nasty accident on I94 between the IL line and Milwaukee. IDK, if the semi accident made national news, but all the drivers' were lucky they didn't perish. That was a few days ago!
Old 08-29-2019, 11:58 AM
Convergence freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Way back, when the Ford Mustang first came out, it was tagged as a Woman's car. Not too much today!
My 2011 Prius is my daily driver. I consider it to be an Electrician's car or Electronic Techs car. I do have two Jeeps and a Dakota pickup, if that a redeeming quality.

That makes me feel better! Haha. At least when it breaks I can go thru and sub out the affected battery module in the pack. Been there, done that. Also headgaskets are a peach to change. 300k mi on it now.

The Escalade has the nice 6.0 LQ9 engine. about the same lower end as the LS2.

All in all gets the job done. wife drove the Prius into a parked car last December. Bent up fender and all but ahh who cares.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:00 PM
Convergence freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Those Triton V10s really like visiting gas stations. the 6.0 in my truck is about on par.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakaftr8 View Post
That makes me feel better! Haha. At least when it breaks I can go thru and sub out the affected battery module in the pack. Been there, done that. Also headgaskets are a peach to change. 300k mi on it now.

The Escalade has the nice 6.0 LQ9 engine. about the same lower end as the LS2.

All in all gets the job done. wife drove the Prius into a parked car last December. Bent up fender and all but ahh who cares.
I had a 2006 Prius, where I had the battery pack out twice. Once at 205K and 235K. Just go through the packs and the one that reads under 7 volts is the one that needs replacement. Get them on the Eplace site. They all seem to come from the east coast. They're used as taxis in NYC and other large cities.
I sat in the bank drive through yesterday with the AC on, for 5 min and the engine never ran. The AC runs off the invertor pack, 3 phase AC. How's that for good engineering.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:31 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

A new project.

1947 Plymouth Special DeLuxe Business Coupe. Bought it in early July, and am gradually getting it serviced and back on the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006 resized.jpg (89.1 KB, 19 views)
Audiokarma
Old 09-03-2019, 02:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

That coupe is sweet!

I kind of have a phobia of new modern cars. Crossovers, Self driving, hybrid, all electric, CVTs, tiny displacement over stressed turbochaged 4 bangers, gas direct injection, dash tablets/infotainment, automatic transmissions......All stuff I don't want or need.

My mom has one of those Subraru Crosstrek things, worst car I've ever driven. It's top heavy, cramped, completely gutless, it eats oil, uncomfortable seats, no cargo space, and worst of all it's ORANGE!
Old 09-03-2019, 10:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rye89 View Post
That coupe is sweet!

I kind of have a phobia of new modern cars. Crossovers, Self driving, hybrid, all electric, CVTs, tiny displacement over stressed turbochaged 4 bangers, gas direct injection, dash tablets/infotainment, automatic transmissions......All stuff I don't want or need.

My mom has one of those Subraru Crosstrek things, worst car I've ever driven. It's top heavy, cramped, completely gutless, it eats oil, uncomfortable seats, no cargo space, and worst of all it's ORANGE!
The car manufacturing firms make a lot of profit on all the extras.
Evidently the car buyers want all these items. The good old days are over, when people bought a car they could truly afford.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

hi volt, I might have to own a late 40s Plymouth one of these days....my kind of car! The 4drs are dirt cheap, too.

We have an '04 Winnebago class C on a Ford Econoline chassis with the V10. S-M-O-O-T-H engine, they really worked overtime ironing the roughness out of that thing. It's hard to check the mileage as I can never seem to fill the tank to the same level from time to time, but on one very long trip (to Branson) I averaged 10mpg. Imagine, a 15,000 lb house running 70 mph down the interstate, or it can drive Uncle Sandy's Mighty Valdez through 10 miles of Miracle Mile in Knoxville! Funny how that works.

I still have my '49 Packard & '51 Fordor, both are for sale and when one sells I'll keep the other. My favorite is whichever one I'm driving at the time! I've been daydreaming a lot lately about what I might own next; one guy hinted he might be willing to trade a '63/64 Thunderbird for the Packard, which might be interesting. Then, I spotted a '27 Buick sedan for sale. Rear seat legroom? You could hold a square dance back there!

And the mention of self-driving cars? Supposedly my step-brother has programmed his Tesla to park itself when he gets to work (he just hops out at the office door) and when he's ready to leave it comes and gets him. I don't know...to me, it's nice to be somewhere, hear a car alarm, and know without a doubt it's not me!
Old 09-19-2019, 07:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

"its PAID For"

#1 attribute I'm looking for in a car. They all are, except the wife's Volvo v60, which is 3/4 paid-for.

Keeping the 2003 Suburban, at 120k miles it's barely broken in, but sadly rusty.
Still, with Quadrasteer, it's currently irreplaceable with a new ride.

Keeping 50+ year old Sunbeam Alpine.
Keeping 30 year old, 9000-mile Honda Pacific Coast (just got it...)
Keeping 20 year old, 90k-mile Lazy Daze Class C
Keeping 2005 Mini Convertible (54k-miles) until my wife wants some other cute car...
Old 09-19-2019, 08:59 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

My '69 & '67 Clincolns are my "Tomcattin'" cars.. They get Atrocious mileage, are way too big, aren't especially roomy, considering their size, and yet...You'd have a fight on yer hands if you tried to take 'em away... Part of the fun of having a Tomcat car is just THAT-Having a car for basically JUST showing off... Seeing in & BEING seen in. Some of the best times I've had in my life were when I'd get the Pervertable out on a warm night, loading it up w/friends, & Hittin' the High Street-Main Drag... Seein' & waving to EVERYBODY, & have 'em wave back at you...Used to be, doing THAT was NOT considered to be antisocial, anti this, anti that or even mean & nasty. It was just kids havin' FUN, which is all I ever did in it.