Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

One of the last AK cathedrals - the 944

I believe this is the great manufacturer's last cathedral radio. It is often dated as 1934 model, but it actually is the lowest on the 1935 line. By this time the cathedral style, so popular in 1930-32, was demoted to the lower-end sets as the more modern tombstone style took over. Companies like Philco would still be making them for a couple more years. This 4-tube set is one of the reasons why Arthur Atwater Kent himself decided to close-shop. He knew to stay competitive he would have to start manufacturing cheaper sets, and that's something he did not want to do. One year later, in 1936, he would do just that. In reality this 944 is a quality set in and out and it's not easy to tell it from a 6-8 tube set when using it. It has a big speaker and the cabinet is very solid. This example is a very nice original and my researching has proved that the lightly mottled bakelite knobs are original to this model.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935 Atwater Kent 944.jpg (67.8 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Celt; 04-08-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:19 AM
Peanut Head

Very nice and uber cool!

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Very nice and uber cool!
Thanks. It's a good example of a classic "depression-era" cathedral radio. It cost $22.50 in 1935 which wasn't as cheap as it sounds now, but much cheaper than the higher-end sets.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:17 PM
M is for Memory

One of the last years ARCI held it's Radiofest swapmeet/convention at the old Holiday Inn site their theme was Atwater Kent. The display room had everything from breadboards and early ephemera to a small table set with a model number not known or listed anywhere...It was believed to be a late one of a kind prototype never built due to closure.

IIRC they had one similar to yours just before that one in the chronologically ordered display.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-08-2018, 04:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
One of the last years ARCI held it's Radiofest swapmeet/convention at the old Holiday Inn site their theme was Atwater Kent. The display room had everything from breadboards and early ephemera to a small table set with a model number not known or listed anywhere...It was believed to be a late one of a kind prototype never built due to closure.

IIRC they had one similar to yours just before that one in the chronologically ordered display.
That must've been great. Since I started in the hobby I've loved anything associated with Atwater Kent. I never tire if them. You see a lot of the common one's, but they made some unique models that you don't very see often. Amazing how simple/purposeful the '20's models look, yet they convey a sense a quality. The cathedrals are all classics.
Audiokarma
Old 04-08-2018, 07:48 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
That must've been great. Since I started in the hobby I've loved anything associated with Atwater Kent. I never tire if them. You see a lot of the common one's, but they made some unique models that you don't very see often. Amazing how simple/purposeful the '20's models look, yet they convey a sense a quality. The cathedrals are all classics.
I know what you mean. I've got an AK40(sounds more like a gun than a radio ) very utilitarian but at the same time very well made and good quality...Had that thing nearly a decade before I got to it. My best friend from college had/s one that came from a realative and had been passed down since new. He wanted it fixed, and wanted my help. I had only done one 20s set up to then, but was willing to try since I had a complete parts set. It went well enough that I did mine within about a year. It is real novel to think I'm listening to a radio that is a decade shy of a century old!
Someday I'm going to find a decent AK cathedral that won't scare my inner cheapskate...Till then the 40 is good enough for me.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 04-08-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:16 PM
The Resident Brony

Noice.