Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

CED players

Anyone here use one of these. I've always been intrigued by these but never had one. Picked up a couple movies awhile back at $1 each. What does a plyer usually sell for? Was RCA the only one to ever make the machines? Only ones I've ever seen was RCA Selectavision.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

A friend of mine has a big collection, and several machines. Hard to find a good working machine. They use a stylus like a record player. Probably get one cheap on craigslist if you keep looking.. Although one thats been demonstrated to actually ork may go for more. Its an item where there are probably more surviving machines than people who actually collect them.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:03 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Toshiba and other companies also made CED players, but RCA probably sold 95% of the total during the format's four-year life.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 04-23-2014, 02:34 PM
M is for Memory

There were rebadged Toshiba and RCA made units sold under a number of names as well.

I've, from buying local, gotten them anywhere from free to ~25$. It is fairly common for the newer auto loading RCAs to need load belts. The belts are starting to go bad from age on the majority of them now.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-23-2014, 05:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I want one but there don't seem to be any around here. Last time i saw one in this area was about 96. Hopefully, one will turn up.
Audiokarma
Old 04-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
I want one but there don't seem to be any around here. Last time i saw one in this area was about 96. Hopefully, one will turn up.
Don't waste your time-They're JUNK. Had one when they were new, even bought a few movies for it. Their problem was/is, even if you put a BRAND-NEW movie, FRESHLY unwrapped in one, 9 times out of 10, they'd have a TINY piece of fuzz on the disc, which would cause the picture to SKIP-SKIP-SKIP..Often, you'd have to "jiggle" the FF/PLAY button to hopefully get the thing past the offending piece of fuzz, & hope for the best. The one I had also had a very "Soft" focus to them, altho the color rendition was OK.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thumbs up

I just want one just to have. I figured since i already have vhs, super vhs et, super beta, laserdisc, and dvd. i had blu ray but sold it. not sure if i'll get another or not. only good if you have an hd set and i DON'T.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a working RCA unit with a few good discs and bought a bunch...a big bunch...of discs a few years ago. Poorly stored and all of the discs had mold on the magnetic platters. I guess iron oxide qualifies as organic. It looked like pimples on the discs. Unuseable and now recycled. My player is just above VHS quality with lots of herringbone in the vid. If you want to get in to this game do it cheap.

Last edited by Dave A; 04-23-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

One of these days I will have to borrow my friends player if it still works.. Found a copy of ELO live at Wembly Stadium at the thrift store Still shrinkwrapped
Old 04-23-2014, 10:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah i don't want to spend much. Only problem is the ones on ebay are priced insane. Seen one one there broken for $75.
Audiokarma
Old 04-24-2014, 02:35 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76
I dont blame ya!!!

I got interested in them when I discovered all movies released on Videodisc ARE 100% analogue!! (And some movies on VHS I cannot find in straight analog (They have been ruined on VHS (Digitally compromised) ) (Well I did see one movie on VD "Gone with the wind" that was DIGITALLY ENHANCED FOR STEREO which didnt make me happy)

I found this site months ago and registered straight away!!

www.cedmagic.com/forum

Last edited by Dude111; 04-25-2014 at 05:11 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I dont blame ya!!!

I got interested in them when I discovered all movies released on Videodisc ARE 100% analogue!! (And some movies on VHS I cannot find in straight analog (They have been ruined on VHS (Digitially compromised) ) (Well I did see one movie on VD "Gone with the wind" that was DIGITALLY ENHANCED FOR STEREO which didnt make me happy)

I found this site months ago and registered straight away!!

www.cedmagic.com/forum
Nice! I may have to sign up too.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Talking

Oops, couldn't resist. I signed up.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:11 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Hehe cant blame ya there!!!!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Peanut Head

I had a stereo RCA back in the day. The audio was very good...but the picture was like SLP VHS. blecch.
Oh yeah....and it almost always would sk-sk-sk-skip.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Audiokarma