Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-05-2021, 11:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sony KV-36FV27 Tuners

Hi,

I have a Sony KV-36FV27 that I primarily use for retro gaming. The issue is that all of the older RF consoles (like the Atari 2600, Pong, ETC) only display in black & white. However, all these consoles work just fine on my other CRT TVs.

It seems like it might be a color burst sync issue with the Sony. My understanding is that the Tuner module needs to be replaced. I've tracked down the Tuner that is on the Antenna side of the PCBs. It's a Sony 8-598-593-70 BTF-WA421 TV Tuner. So no problem there.

However, even using the composite input on the front or back of the TV some consoles also display in black and white (i.e: Sega Genesis). Some consoles work just fine via composite (i.e. NES).

This TV has 2 tuners for PIP, but are they the same tuners? I'm trying to figure out how many tuners there are and what their model numbers are so I can order some without having to take my TV apart to look. Even then, I'm not sure that'd help as I don't recall seeing an stickers on the tuners anyway.

Any information or thoughts appreciated!

Cheers!
Old 08-06-2021, 03:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was able to find a service manual for the TV and if I'm reading it correctly it looks like the two tuners for this model are:

TU101 - Tuner on AK Board (RF Input)
FSS BTF-FA402
8-598-501-90

TU102 - Tuner on A Board
FSS BTF-WA412
8-598-542-20

Looks like my first post was wrong about the BTF-WA421 tuner.

Just thought I'd post in case it it helps anyone down the road.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Most Sony manuals have the consumer manuals in them.
Using that be sure all the tuner setting are for normal VHF/UHF
band & normal AFC ( AFT ). That will eliminate that.
The fact that only some work through composite inputs is troubling.
It may point to an actual problem so listen carefully !

You can go into the service menu & check for some thing thats off.
MUST DO is write down ALL the setting before ANYTHING is
changed. When you exit the menu be SURE to do it right & by the
book. You will probably need the OEM remote to do it.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 08-06-2021, 06:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the response.

I went through all the settings in the service menu and nothing was Off, per se. There were a couple of items that didn't match to the defaults in the manual, like the Green Cutoff. But, nothing that should have any real affect on the inputs.

I tried setting those setting to the default to see if it would change anything and, unfortunately, it didn't.

As far as I know the tuner settings are normal. I don't see any real adjustments in the regular menu. But, if you have more info, I'm happy to check/try something else.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:20 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I do not know which video game consoles first had interlaced video (480i) signals versus the 240p signals of the mid-1980s and earlier machines, but maybe that is related to the lack of color display on your Sony set.

Years ago, I modified my Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Mattel Intellivision, and Colecovision consoles to all have composite video and direct audio outputs, and they all worked fine on Sony Profeel (KX-1901, KX-2501) monitors.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma