Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2021, 12:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
Well for sure something's not right with this radio because the back of the radio says it's rated for 65 watts at 120 and the radio as it sits with its incessant 60 Hz hum is only 43 Watts so something's not right, either one of my filter caps failed or there's a bad tube or something else odd is going on with this radio.

I've tested all of the tubes in this radio and the 6K7 tube and the 6F6 tube both tested as having a H-K Short in it so I subbed them out with known good tubes and the hum is still there and the radio pulled the same amount of wattage, So I'm not sure what's going on with this mystery of a radio.

I'm about tempted to just salvage the bulb and tubes and capacitors out of the radio and scrap it out.
It depends what condition the cabinet is in! If the cabinet is in good condition, it's worth trouble-shooting a little further!
Remove all the tubes but the 6F6 and the rectifier and see if it still hums, proving it's a power supply issue. If so, bridge the electrolytics and see if it clears the hum. The power supply is a rather simple supply using a grounded B minus.