Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Procrastination Expert

How cheap have I become? Re: cost of vacuums

I was doing some cleaning earlier with my Electrolux Automatic E vacuum, and that got me thinking... I wonder how much this thing cost when it was new in 1958? I did a bit of looking, they were just under $120... or almost $1,000 today!

I picked this unit up at a salvation army for free because the switch was popped out of place. They charged me $2 for the hose and attachments. When I got it home I pushed the switch back into place, and it's worked flawlessly since, even the cord reel works great! I guess if you charge a grand for a vacuum you can put really good components into it, which is why the motor and full bag detector still work perfectly in this one after all these years. But if I were going out to buy a vacuum today I just couldn't see myself spending that kind of money. Have I become too cheap?

The other sweeper I use is a Riccar canister upright I found on the side of the road. Someone spent a lot of money on it in the 90s. Only things wrong with it? The headlight was burnt out, and the circuit breaker on the bottom was tripped. There's a vacuum shop in Ann Arbor which is an authorized Riccar and Electrolux dealer, they have quality bags for both of vacuums... and they're cheap! Ones for something like my parent's 2002 vintage hoover cost almost 3x, but they aren't 3x as big!

-Jason