Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

510UXB22 Replacements

My CRT is just a little too tired I'm afraid as we all know. I've been trying to find a replacement 510UXB22, but I can't seem to find one.

There was an arcade machine at the flea market that used the same CRT, a Pac-Man game, but it had severe burn in (but oddly the CRT seemed strong still).

Is there a compatible replacement? I'd imagine I'd probably have to swap the yokes, but I'd need to make sure I get a CRT with the right deflection angle.

I have a Philips Magnavox in storage that's a 19" and has what I believe is the same CRT picture shape. Low hours too and very VERY bright (which of course I'd run at normal TV brightness, no need to be killing it with contrast).

I don't know what CRT it uses though. It's a late 90's set.

Possible to adapt it? I'll get more information like model and CRT number when I can, but it may not be this weekend. I tried to find a picture of this TV but I couldn't.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wouldn't be easier to rejuvenate the CRT?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

That can be risky, and from what I gather, may not even last long.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well the CRT is done for anyway, It might be the chance to learn how to do it yourself!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Lol

Well right now I can't afford a rejuvenator at this time.
Audiokarma
Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
Lol

Well right now I can't afford a rejuvenator at this time.
What set is it? The Samsung?
Swapping yokes on a factory converged CRT, seldom works out very well.
Especially, for your application, where the convergence has to be perfect.
Re: A rejuvenator. Most CRT testers, rejuvenators, seldom come with socket required for the later types.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ok. I usually get scared about rejuvenators, but I guess I can give it a try if I come across one.

The CRT still works like it did when I got it, it hasn't gotten worse, but on some color tones, the color bleeds, and I either have to lower contrast more (which it's at a perfect comfortable spot right now), or lower color. CSI Miami and it's yellowish tone is one of the shows that like to bleed a bit.

From what I researched, the socket is a CR25.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Look for a B&K 467, or higher, model number. I've used a 480 for years and have rejuvenated more CRT's with it than I care to remember. Some of them lasted a long time after rejuvenation and some didn't. I was finding weak CRT's in '80's Samsung TV's when they were less than 10 years old; so, I'm not surprised that this one is fading. A Sencore CR70 is another good one.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

How many times can you rejuvenate a CRT before it dies completly? Can you tell what brand will respond better to the treatment than others? What are the variable of the equasion? :p
Old 01-18-2013, 04:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Ok. I usually get scared about rejuvenators, but I guess I can give it a try if I come across one.

The CRT still works like it did when I got it, it hasn't gotten worse, but on some color tones, the color bleeds, and I either have to lower contrast more (which it's at a perfect comfortable spot right now), or lower color. CSI Miami and it's yellowish tone is one of the shows that like to bleed a bit.

From what I researched, the socket is a CR25.
After repairing TV sets for 50+ years, I have a hard time watching a TV, that is slightly less than perfect. Right now, I can't tell you how many sets I have. I can't stand a set with bleeding colors, poor gray-scale.
Some of my old sets aren't as good, but they're not my daily watchers.
The G/W near here had a 27" Sony Wega, from about 2003 for $1.99. It had Super VHS, RGB and all the other options.
Audiokarma
Old 01-18-2013, 04:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I can't imagine too many times.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
After repairing TV sets for 50+ years, I have a hard time watching a TV, that is slightly less than perfect. Right now, I can't tell you how many sets I have. I can't stand a set with bleeding colors, poor gray-scale.
Some of my old sets aren't as good, but they're not my daily watchers.
The G/W near here had a 27" Sony Wega, from about 2003 for $1.99. It had Super VHS, RGB and all the other options.
An American TV with RGB? That's quite impressive!

Any TV I get with component video, I modify for RGB inputs too as a switchable option. My technique is different depending on how the TV handles those inputs. Most I can just modify the circuitry and get RGB directly fed in. Some need an internal RGB to Y/Pr/Pb conversion if it has one of those stupid all-in-one chips that you can't bypass.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
An American TV with RGB? That's quite impressive!

Any TV I get with component video, I modify for RGB inputs too as a switchable option. My technique is different depending on how the TV handles those inputs. Most I can just modify the circuitry and get RGB directly fed in. Some need an internal RGB to Y/Pr/Pb conversion if it has one of those stupid all-in-one chips that you can't bypass.
I probably used the wrong terminology. The jacks are Y/Pr/Pb.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ahh ok. Yea RGB and Y/Pr/Pb, even though result in highly similar color quality (I can't visibly see the difference), are quite different in how color is obtained from it.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Administrator

I did a bit of clean up in this thread.

Just a reminder that personal attacks are not allowed here, if you don't care for what someone is talking about then move along to the next topic, or use the block function and you won't see them at all.
Audiokarma