Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Anyone know Oppo DVD players? Got a Dead one.

My Oppo 981HD player bit the dust. Sound stopped, and the display was going berserk. Found a puffy electrolytic capacitor in the SMPS, replaced 7 total, and all voltages are there now per the pin markings on the board but it's still in a fault mode with the pink-magenta power light on. I think it probably needs a reset but cannot find any info on these. Seem to be pretty tightly kept secrets on Oppo. And I don't want to ship it off to Oppo for repair, forget that. I'll just get another one that works and recap it before it fails. I use it primarily for its HDCD playback capability. HELP!

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 12-09-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

That company has a very good reputation in the home-theater video crowd. With luck, that would apply to service/parts support as well. Have you been in contact with them for service information?

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-09-2015, 09:25 PM
M is for Memory

Looked at the title and thought there was some well known guy called Oppo that died recently....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-09-2015, 09:32 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Their offer is to ship it to them to be repaired at a flat rate. I tried to pry some info from their phone support. If I could have gotten a technician on the phone, maybe, but I was not successful. Not sure I want to spend $75 or so on a 8 year old player I bought used, that's seen many hundreds of hours mostly as an audio player. The spindle motor worries me. It makes noise sometimes upon start-up. This Oppo is built like a flimsy toy inside. Amazing they have such a following.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Looked at the title and thought there was some well known guy called Oppo that died recently....
No that's why I put it in the "recorded video" section closest thing to DVD player issues, rather than the obituary which doesn't exist. I'll clarify the title. Not getting too many bites anyway.
Audiokarma
Old 12-09-2015, 09:52 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't spend $75 on it, the HD format is obsolete now and you can buy a new Bluray for the same money, and it will also upconvert standard DVD's.

If you want Composite output you will have to look for a slightly older Bluray player, nothing made now has anything but HDMI.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:06 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I wouldn't spend $75 on it, the HD format is obsolete now and you can buy a new Bluray for the same money, and it will also upconvert standard DVD's.

If you want Composite output you will have to look for a slightly older Bluray player, nothing made now has anything but HDMI.
It's not a HD-DVD player, the obsolete format you refer to.

The "HD" is it's ability to up-convert standard DVDs with its built in Faroudja processor to "HD Quality". One of the best in its day. But soon fell out of demand when blu-ray discs came out.

I don't need a blu-ray player for playing audio CDs, HDCDs, and DVD-Audio discs, and it normally wouldn't be connected to a TV, just the stereo. The Oppo does all those audio formats. And is has a volume control on the remote that I use all the time, another rarity.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:59 PM
Administrator

I see, I thought you meant it was the short lived HD Format.

If it's going to be difficult or impossible to find a replacement that does everything you want then maybe it would be worth repairing.

I just realized I have an Oppo OPDV971H that apparently is similar.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:12 AM
Looking For Time

Quote:

You won't find a new Oppo for $75.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:56 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
I see, I thought you meant it was the short lived HD Format.

If it's going to be difficult or impossible to find a replacement that does everything you want then maybe it would be worth repairing.

I just realized I have an Oppo OPDV971H that apparently is similar.
Yep the Oppo 970, 971, 981, 983 will all do what I want and not be wasting the Blu-ray that I don't need for audio purposes. I missed a 981 a couple of weeks ago $50 Buy It Now, Free ship. I didn't know mine was about to bite the dust at the time or I would have grabbed it.

I guess I should have put 2 and 2 together when I noticed a few weeks ago the Oppo was emitting so much RFI sitting there in stand-by mode, I was hearing its noise on an AM radio in another room! Unplugged the Oppo and the noise went away. Week or two later the Oppo died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
You won't find a new Oppo for $75.
Buy used only. All Oppo has new these days are Blu-ray and start at $500.
Audiokarma
Old 12-10-2015, 09:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

75$ is really quite a reasonable repair fee. It's your decision of course, but given that you really like the product, it's discontinued, and it's made by a high-quality/well-regarded manufacturer, I say go for it. It is harder and harder to find high quality consumer electronics these days.

As a side note, I think it is noteworthy that Oppo will service such an old product. Many manufacturers won't even talk to you after the meager warranty period, it seems.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Looking For Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
75$ is really quite a reasonable repair fee. It's your decision of course, but given that you really like the product, it's discontinued, and it's made by a high-quality/well-regarded manufacturer, I say go for it. It is harder and harder to find high quality consumer electronics these days.

As a side note, I think it is noteworthy that Oppo will service such an old product. Many manufacturers won't even talk to you after the meager warranty period, it seems.
It speaks volumes about the company that not only will they talk to you, but that they will repair equipment, instead of just offering a new replacement. Oppo also has a two year warranty on their players in an industry where 1 year or less is the norm.

Last edited by vts1134; 12-11-2015 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-10-2015, 09:50 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

I may just send it in. Get it fixed, with a warranty too. Probably cost $20-25 to ship it. Oppo has a $49 flat rate which includes shipping back. Hard to beat that total cost less than $75, especially an 8 year old DVD player.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:56 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

That sounds like a good plan, especially if you mention the spindle noise; with luck, they will replace the motor as well.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-20-2015, 06:52 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Well, meanwhile I picked up an Oppo BDP-83 blu-ray player locally got a really good deal on it. But it has not had its firmware updated in 5 years. Contacted Oppo they said best is hook to the internet and update from there. This is where I get clowdy. I have ATT U-verse and the gateway modem has 4 ethernet ports, one only is used going to this computer. Do I just need to plug the Oppo player into an unused ethernet port, power it on and it will automatically find a connection and do its thing as prompted in the update menu? This updating apparently is pretty common with most if not all brands of blu-ray players.
Audiokarma