Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith VCR's

Now I know that I'm using the wrong terminology to describe this and it's going to sound extremely weird, but when did Zenith stop manufacturing the "pop-up" VCR's (as a compartment "pops up" and the VHS is placed inside)? I was at Goodwill on Sunday, and saw a Zenith VCR with a "slide in" compartment to directly "slide" the VHS in without "popping up" another compartment. This Zenith had the old pre-mid/1980's logo.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sorry, I haven't been on this particular forum much and am still learning some of the terminology.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:24 AM
M is for Memory

The term you are looking for is top-loader. Wish I could answer your question, but I was born some time after the industry stoped making top loaders. They were still making them in 1977 I have a beta they made then.

Tom C.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Top-loaders were probably marketed through 1985/86.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwplefty View Post
Now I know that I'm using the wrong terminology to describe this and it's going to sound extremely weird, but when did Zenith stop manufacturing the "pop-up" VCR's (as a compartment "pops up" and the VHS is placed inside)? I was at Goodwill on Sunday, and saw a Zenith VCR with a "slide in" compartment to directly "slide" the VHS in without "popping up" another compartment. This Zenith had the old pre-mid/1980's logo.
Originally Zenith went with Beta, so any top-loaders with their name on them were Sony-built beta's. The first VHS units they sold were JVC built, and they were front load. They also had a VCR that loaded the cartridge the long way. Never saw one.
Audiokarma
Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 PM
M is for Memory

I've always wondered if any VCR loaded the long way, now I'm dying to see one.

Tom C.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Originally Zenith went with Beta, so any top-loaders with their name on them were Sony-built beta's. The first VHS units they sold were JVC built, and they were front load. They also had a VCR that loaded the cartridge the long way. Never saw one.
Okay. So it's possible that this VCR with the front-loader could have been built as early as 1977?

If so, I think I'll get it.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I've always wondered if any VCR loaded the long way, now I'm dying to see one.

Tom C.

You mean these

JVC

Zenith (JVC)
Old 04-09-2011, 11:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcollector View Post
You mean these

JVC

Zenith (JVC)
No. This one had the older Zenith logo on the front (not the lightning bolt). I don't think that logo starting appearing on their products until 1986 or so, but I could be wrong.

This VCR looks to be from around 1987 or 1988.

I'll try to get a picture next time I'm at the store and post it on here.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

oh was referring to electronic m about never seeing a long ways loading VHS..

mwplefty That one your describing is something I think i saw a picture of, but I didn't think zenith went to VHS before 1983.. It looks to be something rare, and is defiantly worth picking up, and Goodwill usually sells there VHS VCRS between $3 - $25.. Sounds like something I'm interested in.. Zenith sold a top loading version of Sony's SL-5000 "loading on right" in 1982 or 83. After that, all Betas became front and when Zenith went VHS, they picked JVC, and JVC at the time i think were making top loaders, so it looks to be something very interesting, Id grab it before it's gone, either someone else will get it, or if it's been on the self too long they will trash it..

Last edited by tvcollector; 04-10-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-19-2011, 10:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcollector View Post
oh was referring to electronic m about never seeing a long ways loading VHS..

mwplefty That one your describing is something I think i saw a picture of, but I didn't think zenith went to VHS before 1983.. It looks to be something rare, and is defiantly worth picking up, and Goodwill usually sells there VHS VCRS between $3 - $25.. Sounds like something I'm interested in.. Zenith sold a top loading version of Sony's SL-5000 "loading on right" in 1982 or 83. After that, all Betas became front and when Zenith went VHS, they picked JVC, and JVC at the time i think were making top loaders, so it looks to be something very interesting, Id grab it before it's gone, either someone else will get it, or if it's been on the self too long they will trash it..
I looked at the back of the player, and it didn't contain any screw terminals alongside the coax cable and RCA jacks, which would've been common for early-1980's VCR's.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:38 PM
M is for Memory

Those side loaders are the coolest things I've seen in a good while.

Quote:
mwplefty
No. This one had the older Zenith logo on the front (not the lightning bolt). I don't think that logo starting appearing on their products until 1986 or so, but I could be wrong.
The lightning bolt dates back to the days when they were making tube radios. As for the other logos I don't exactly know what you are refering to as zenith had several newer ones over the years that they introduced starting around the 1950's when the lightning bolt started to clash with their look.

Thanks for ansewering a question that has been bugging me for a couple of years tvcollector, you da man!

Tom C.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Diggin' through the old manuals.. I'd forgotten Zenith sold at least two VHS models made by JVC with the sideways loading mechanism...

Need any info, parts, alignments, etc I can probably come up with it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jvc-zen-sidevhs1.jpg (106.2 KB, 214 views)
Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith had stopped using that lightning logo on the front of electronics. It was still on tubes, parts boxes, cabinet backs-but I have a hard time thinking of anything that used that logo on the front even going back to the porthole era. There may have been some postwar radios that used it? It got resurrected in the mid 80s, as I recall. I would say a front loader with the "block letter" logo would have to be 84-85, give or take. Usually when they show up for $5, I'll go ahead and get it. The only ones I'll pay more for are the dinosaur top loaders, the ones with click-stop tuners.

I have a Zenith video camera that someone gave me last year, "block" logo. I'll probably sell it, but I am waiting because he thinks he has the matching portable VCR still stashed away.

Last edited by bgadow; 04-20-2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: more info