Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

We use two CABLECARDs with an adapter. Rent on the cablecard is cheap and allows multiple channels simultaneously (mix and match watch or record - three channels per adapter).
Old 08-10-2016, 12:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a View Post
We use two CABLECARDs with an adapter. Rent on the cablecard is cheap and allows multiple channels simultaneously (mix and match watch or record - three channels per adapter).
Hum.I got to check if I can get the card setup here..I would like to get a DVR setup here too.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:53 PM
I love old stuff

Fact: throu all that we have today H.D. programing and U(ltra) H.D. programing is comming, the qultay of the programs is opsite to the tehcnology, beeing worser then 20-21 years ago, when S.D. programing was the standard and you cold still found b & w sets still in use.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Fact: throu all that we have today H.D. programing and U(ltra) H.D. programing is comming, the qultay of the programs is opsite to the tehcnology, beeing worser then 20-21 years ago, when S.D. programing was the standard and you cold still found b & w sets still in use.
With few exceptions, I do agree. I do like one thing about digital TV, you can cram in a few extra subchannels on one channel. I am watching MeTV and Gilligan's Island on my 1982 Zenith as I type this.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan 1966 View Post
With few exceptions, I do agree. I do like one thing about digital TV, you can cram in a few extra subchannels on one channel. I am watching MeTV and Gilligan's Island on my 1982 Zenith as I type this.
Got a point there with the sub channels.
Audiokarma
Old 01-07-2017, 04:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another thing, it used to be so much easier to watch TV. Growing up we didn't have cable, so you only had a few choices in channels. You had the four major networks, PBS, and the smaller stations which were mostly HSN and TBN.

I remember they had some of the weirdest stuff back then. We had a local station here as well which mainly aired retro TV shows during the day, and sometimes local interest segments during the evening with local politicians. There was a live call in program at night where you could call in and announce it on-air. Their local segments were rather cheesy and filmed on a very dinky looking set, especially by today's standards, or even back then. You just don't see stuff like that anymore.

Nowadays, with digital cable it is really a pain IMO to find something to watch. You have the onscreen guide and have so many choices to go through. Sometimes I will search for a program instead if I have in mind what I want to watch.

But I find for all those channels there isn't much to watch. Many of them being infomercials, dumb reality shows or other junk.

I watch a few of the shows like American Pickers, Househunters, Fixer Upper, Tree Houses, etc. Sometimes Animal Planet or Nat Geo Wild shows.
We used to watch History Channel pretty often but lately it must be junk because I don't remember watching it much lately.

There is little on network TV I care about. I never watch the sitcoms and only have one drama that I've been interested in but it canceled.

Sometimes I put on the Weather Channel just to hear the music. LOL
Old 01-08-2017, 09:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

All I see on daytime TV (whenever I happen to be off work) is "Judge" shows, Jerry Springer, and Maury Povich. And don't forget reverse mortgage, debt relief, mesothelioma lawyers, and pharmaceutical commercials.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:45 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
.Also I enjoyed those CBS "In The News" segments with the late great Christopher Glenn. Also stations used too run cartoons after school around 3pm after the soaps also with the ABC After School Specials.
Loved them too - along with Schoolhouse Rock...... Conjuction junction, what's your function?
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 01-08-2017, 10:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

The worst problem in television today is the saturation of commercials! I spent nearly 50 years in broadcasting, and at one time TV broadcasters were limited to a maximum of 16 minutes per hour, back when the FCC had some balls. Today, the commercial amount per hour is much higher! Just count the commercial time per hour, and you will see that broadcasters have no restrictions!
Old 01-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
All I see on daytime TV (whenever I happen to be off work) is "Judge" shows, Jerry Springer, and Maury Povich. And don't forget reverse mortgage, debt relief, mesothelioma lawyers, and pharmaceutical commercials.
I know. I remember as a kid, WKBN's signal from Youngstown, OH came into the Pittsburgh area and we watched the afternoon "Money Movie" where they had trite sci-fi flicks, things like "Matt Helm" with Dean Martin and so on. The station had a running total of money built up and if they called your home and you knew how much money that was totalled, you win that amount. WPTT in Pittsburgh played a lot of cartoons and retro programs too and we watched that as well
Audiokarma
Old 01-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Loved them too - along with Schoolhouse Rock...... Conjuction junction, what's your function?
I remember all of them on Saturday mornings too.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:44 PM
Old TVs are better!

At least we have one AM station here in Omaha that plays oldies. Boomer radio 1490. It's also simulcast on FM 104.1 as well and on the internet.
http://tunein.com/radio/Boomer-1490-s34514/
It's about the only radio station on AM I ever listen too. We also have KGOR on FM playing oldies, but lots more commercials. As far as TV. I don't watch much on the networks (except the news), ME TV, Antenna TV, and Educational TV. I do like to watch movies and old shows on Netflix and YouTube. So many commercials that it spoils what TV used to be like. I got rid of satellite TV several years ago, and don't miss it a bit. The only reason today to have cable or satellite would be to watch live sports that isn't broadcast over the air. Obviously I'm not a sports fan.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

TV went to the trash 25 years ago for me when the cheap reality crap shows from cable spilled over to the big 4 networks and the glut of everybodies brother and sister chat shows taken over the airwaves and the local exxxxxpanded news shows that eat up time slots with the repetitive loop of the same stories over and over again . About to drop cable TV altogether and just watch what I want online.

Also add the locals are getting the $7.00 re -broadcast fee from the cable company to keep them in the cable TV line up.

Last edited by centralradio; 01-08-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

One thing I just noticed tonight, on NBC channel, they don't do a noon news or a 5 or 6 PM newscast, they do it for an hour at 8 PM and then no news later at night. And their morning news only starts 6-10, whereas FOX does 4-10, then noon, then 5 and 6 PM and 10 and 11 PM. Thought that was odd NBC does so much less, or maybe it's just that channel.

Plus they show reruns of X-Files, not the new series but reruns of that and Seinfeld at night during prime time. And later at night they show Cops reruns and then Dateline and Forensics Files which those are new, and sometimes Law and Order reruns.

How does a network channel show so many reruns?? Surely I thought they would have new series on.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:20 AM
RCA 741PCS

That sure doesn't sound like NBC to me. Sounds like you are on a subchannel or something. Our NBC affiliate runs news just like you describe for FOX above and has new shows on in primetime. Then news and the tonight show etc. No reruns of old shows.