Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-13-2021, 09:42 PM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

Pioneer Elite system cables

Now I'm sure some of you here have heard this question/problem/issue/request many times in the past, but bear with me here. :P

Coming out of my local Goodwill thrift store yesterday, I overheard someone asking the front counter if the store takes TVs for donation (the answer, of course, was 'no'). I poked outside and a guy had an entire Pioneer Elite PRO-1130HD A/V setup on a hand truck. I asked what he was going to do with it and he asked me if I wanted it. Of course I said yes, it's not every day a Pioneer Elite just falls into my lap! So, the issue is, of course, that the two system cables, one black and one white, are missing, and the system as a whole will not function without them. I have the PRO-506PU 50" plasma panel with the speakers and stand, and the PRO-R06U media receiver. I was assured by the previous owner that the system works, but I didn't think to ask for the cables, d'oh! I have seen several cable sets listed on eBay for around $100. Do I need to just bite the bullet and shell out for them, or are there other options? Would any of you fine folks happen to have a set lying around? Another question: is the one cable simply a standard DVI-D cable, or is the pinout different? The other cable appears to be what's known as an MDR cable...are there ways to get one of these cheaply? My fears include not knowing if the system works without spending on the cables, or even just not knowing if the plasma panel has burn or other issues. (The only other part I'm missing is the remote control, but that seems easier to acquire and less necessary than those blasted system cables.)

Thanks for putting up with my constant pleas for help. ^^;

Last edited by YamahaFreak; 07-13-2021 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I used to have a Sharp Aquos that the same stupid thing of putting all the smarts in a box remote from the rest of the TV. The DVI connector was exactly that and I ran it for years as just a very large DVI monitor hanging off a Windows MCE system since my audio was external and all I needed was the ability to turn the set on and off which the box was not needed for.

All the cables should be passive. I don't see why they would do anything funky with a pinout.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I used to have a Sharp Aquos that the same stupid thing of putting all the smarts in a box remote from the rest of the TV. The DVI connector was exactly that and I ran it for years as just a very large DVI monitor hanging off a Windows MCE system since my audio was external and all I needed was the ability to turn the set on and off which the box was not needed for.

All the cables should be passive. I don't see why they would do anything funky with a pinout.
I was going to try to at least use a standard DVI cable for the one, but then I found this, which suggests that wouldn't work.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/nee...pu-tv.3109268/
Old 07-15-2021, 06:05 PM

Something else I was just made aware of, thankfully before anything was screwed up...these Pioneer PRO sets apparently have a 'trap switch' inside them which will permanently disable the system if it is powered on with the covers removed. I have had the media receiver apart with it unplugged and noticed a sensor switch along the top left edge, held closed when the cover is installed. I haven't yet had the plasma panel apart, but will damn well make sure it's unplugged before I do! Apparently, Pioneer was scared shitless that people would figure out how to reverse engineer their proprietary plasma technology, and this was their way of trying to prevent that...or so I was told. Does anyone have further information or even a full backstory on this bizarre situation??
Old 07-16-2021, 07:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

The trap switch did catch me out on one years ago. I never did find a solution to it - found some old posts that suggested without some official service jig there was no solution. The old posts I found at the times suggested it was paranoia about HDCP keys that lead to the kill switch - though I never found one in anything else.
Audiokarma
Old 07-16-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ido View Post
The trap switch did catch me out on one years ago. I never did find a solution to it - found some old posts that suggested without some official service jig there was no solution. The old posts I found at the times suggested it was paranoia about HDCP keys that lead to the kill switch - though I never found one in anything else.
If Google is to be believed, there is a service menu sequence that will reset the trap switch. I'm not taking chances, though!
Old 07-18-2021, 09:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

If it's the same links I found years ago the catch was that to get into that service menu you needed a specific service remote, not the normal remote that came with it. Actually saw the 42" version with it's cable and receiver out on the street today - left it behind as it wasn't worth the back pain for what little I'd get for it. I did take the cable in case I ever need on in the future.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
If it's the same links I found years ago the catch was that to get into that service menu you needed a specific service remote, not the normal remote that came with it. Actually saw the 42" version with it's cable and receiver out on the street today - left it behind as it wasn't worth the back pain for what little I'd get for it. I did take the cable in case I ever need on in the future.
There's someone in this thread who needs one! Couldn't pay you much for it, though...
Old 07-19-2021, 06:39 AM

Little update of sorts: I had the plasma display opened up last night to blow the dust out and give it a cleaning, and try as I might, I was not able to locate the trap switch anywhere! Is it possible this model didn't have one? The model number on the monitor is PRO-506PU.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

The one I tripped was a 507 or 508 from memory. No external medial receiver - HDMI and other inputs built in. If the trap really is to do with the HDCP keys then I guess it would be in media receiver for the earlier models. As for the cable - the shipping alone from Australia would probably be more than the system is worth.
Audiokarma
Old 07-19-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
The one I tripped was a 507 or 508 from memory. No external medial receiver - HDMI and other inputs built in. If the trap really is to do with the HDCP keys then I guess it would be in media receiver for the earlier models. As for the cable - the shipping alone from Australia would probably be more than the system is worth.
Ah, I hadn't seen where you are located! No worries.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:29 PM

A friend of mine graciously bought me a set of system cables as a late birthday gift!

Good news: the media receiver and plasma display both work. Bad news: the panel has pretty severe image burn (see attached image). I'm hopeful that at least some of this can be cleared up...I think a lot of the persistent 'snow' would be helped by turning up the Vs voltage on the panel. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210727_182417.jpg (62.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-28-2021, 11:21 PM

Update

Turning up the Vs really cleared up the speckling and snow on the screen, but unfortunately there are several permanent(?) burns on the panel. I assume there isn't a way to remove these? Also, I still sometimes get snow in certain specific instances, such as a red shape on a black screen (YouTube splash screen, for example)...I'm not sure how far up I can safely turn the Vs control without causing problems. I used a few different screens, and turned the control up until just where the speckles/snow disappeared on those screens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210729_001848.jpg (54.4 KB, 9 views)