Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Magnavox 259M

Greetings to all. This is my first post on this forum but I have been lurking around trying to get some answers to my current project,which is a Magnavox console radio (model 259m). I'm not having much luck on my own so I thought I would ask the members for some suggestions.The radio is composed of two chassis , the tuner (CR330aa) and amp/power supply(AMP132aa). The switch to turn the unit on is part of the tuner and is mounted to the rear of the Bass control. The switch is not working so I thought I would try to replace the pot/switch unit so, here is my problem. I have located a couple of replacement options with Mouser, but don't know which one would be best. I have a choice of a linear or audio taper pot. What would be the best, or does it really matter for a Bass control? I could see that it would make a difference for the main volume control -- I'm just not sure. I actually may not have an option because the linear pot available from Mouser is 1/2 watt and the audio taper is 1/4 watt. My schematic shows the pot as 1/2 watt 1 Megohm with a spst switch.
If I haven't confused anyone , I would appreciate any and all opinions.

Last edited by skillybob; 09-18-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: wrong radio reference
Old 08-23-2010, 09:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

You may not be successful in finding a replacement but others may chime in. Has this unit been re-capped/refurbished? If the only problem is turning on-off then I would suggest shorting out the switch and using a power strip to operate with. On many of my old radios I will switch them externally than to increase any wear and tear on a part that is difficult to replace.

You can do this temporary if you wish until a suitable sub/replacement comes along at the least and still be able to enjoy it.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Magnavox 259M

Thanks for the suggestion. This could be a solution. I have not recapped the radio yet but I will be ordering the parts soon. I got the radio from my BIL just to get it out of his garage. It does play on AM but FM needs work. I have the switch bypassed at the present time and just plug it in when I need to power up. The controls are all smooth with no static . I just did not know if it would make a big difference for a Bass control if it is linear or audio taper. I could also use a schematic for the AMP132aa if anyone would help out. I was looking around and was able to find a schematic for a AMP132 but not an AMP132aa. I really don't have a clue what the difference would be. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by skillybob; 09-18-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Use audio taper for volume controls, and linear taper for tone controls.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.