Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Identification of Airline AM Radio?

I took a quick look at this Airline AM-only floor model but found no definitive identification. The current owner received it second-hand, as a gift from the original owner 60 years ago.

The date, "3-13-2" is penciled inside the cabinet next to the original owner's name. My assumption is that the new radio was shipped or delivered in 1942 or 1932. The tubes are shoulder-type, and there is a "Quam-Nichols Kompakt Antenna," which is apparently an after-market device. The power cord is two separate wires twisted together.

Were they still using shoulder-type tubes in 1939-1941? If so, then my best guess is that it was manufactured pre-war in 1941, and I can picture a farmer (in Emmett, Idaho), ordering it through the Montgomery Ward catalog to keep up with the war news after his sons enlisted in the Army.

The radio is in very good condition, works well, and seems to be all-original. I probably won't buy it, but I'd like to give the owner more information about his radio.

Here's the Craig's List picture. Anyone have a clue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Airline.jpg (10.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 08-20-2010, 05:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

That style of radio with legs was popular around 1928-32, not made after. The twisted-pair power cord went out of use shortly thereafter and the two wires were parallel and enclosed in a cloth outer covering. By 1937 they were almost all using rubber power cords similar to those used today. Globe-shaped tubes were on their way out in 1932 to be replaced by the ST shouldered tubes so that radio is from the late twenties or early thirties, probably early thirties, considering the tubes (which could have all been replaced but not likely all.)

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.

Last edited by Reece; 08-20-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks, Reece. The 1932 date made the radio more attractive to me, and the owner let it go for much less than his asking price. I'll pick it up tomorrow and hopefully I can find a tube placement label inside the cabinet. I'll also have to make up a new story to go with the radio--I wonder if the town of Emmett, Idaho first got electricity in 1932.
- Henry
Old 08-21-2010, 01:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

"After the closing of the mines in 1906, the power lines were extended to Emmett."

So says this site on the history of Emmett!

http://www.emmettid-realestate.com/history.htm

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

1931 Airline "Sovereign," Model 62-181

I took out the chassis but found no further clues. Went to RadioMuseum.org and found a dozen Montgomery Ward models from 1930 to 1932 with 8 tubes. Found several with the same type and number of tubes as my unknown chassis. Eliminated a couple that were identified as table models. Finally ended up just a couple of possibilities.
Went to NostalgiaAir for some Rider tube placement diagrams and found a match with two models--62-040 and 62-181. The chassis has "181" stamped on it. Voila! My presumptive ID is that I have a 1931 Airline Sovereign, model 62-181.

Is it more than coincidence that I also researched the history of Emmett Idaho and found that the town was electrified in 1906? But perhaps the lines didn't reach the home of Charles M. Buster until 1932.

Now I have to get a good copy of the service info. The Riders I have so far is not legible. Then I have to repair the cabinet veneer while the chassis is out. Then I have to find out how to...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62-181.jpg (23.6 KB, 18 views)
Audiokarma
Old 08-26-2010, 10:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Many of those Monkey Wards sets were built by Wells-Gardner; they built some nice stuff, and are still in business today. I think you'll be very happy with this radio. Oh, and the date guesses made above are spot-on, in my opinion.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:37 AM
sampson159

wells gardner made some pretty good electronics.they made for several stores and their televisions sets were very good and reasonably easy to service.i had one that used a zenith crt.warwick also made for catalog stores.those were okay,but i will take the wells gardner anytime.nice looking radio.i want an airline with a big dial.they really have the "look"!