Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:28 PM
RCA 741PCS

Help identify radio

Does anyone recognize this old tombstone radio ?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3nf3ob3p45O15Q65S5a884a3778be25a11fa6.jpg (8.7 KB, 76 views)
Old 08-08-2010, 06:38 PM
VK Member

I have been searching every where for a pic of a crosley 03cq looks like a crosley i came
across. This set 03cq seem to elude me .
Old 08-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Is it yours, or just hopefully, "Could be" ? Kinda rough, perhaps, but still a likely candidate for a resto job...Winter's just around the corner, after all.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:50 PM
RCA 741PCS

It could be for $25. I figure if it's got some nice old globe tubes and a good speaker it's worth it.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

It might be a little early for a magic eye: I wonder if somebody added that later. Should be able to tell pretty easily. At any rate, it's a nice looking radio and wants some TLC. I like it.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Audiokarma
Old 08-09-2010, 01:37 PM
RCA 741PCS

Yeah, that what I was thinking. It's on the southside of the city so can't be too long of a drive. Outside of radio swapmeets, tombstones rarely show up around here. Lots of consoles though.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:04 PM
RCA 741PCS

Aw nuts! Someone just beat me to it I guess the mystery may never be solved.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:46 PM
RCA 741PCS

The initial buyer backed out when he realized he'd need to drive all the way from Rockford, IL to the south side of Chicago. I just picked it up this evening
It's a C.A. Earl.

Last edited by bandersen; 08-10-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Awrite !! Maybe there'll be some markings or something on the inside that'll give us another clue...
Old 08-10-2010, 09:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

If that magic eye is an st coke bottle shape, it likely came from a conversion kit, as I think they only produced those for a couple of years early in magic eye tube production. It is a pretty, and pretty obscure set as well. Can't wait to see your post on it...
Audiokarma
Old 08-10-2010, 10:50 PM
RCA 741PCS

I'll stick with this thread because I'm still not sure what I've got. According to the seller, the radio was in the basement when she bought the house. That's the same story as for all the best stuff I've gotten in the heart of the city. Wealthy neighborhoods went into decline as owners moved to the suburbs. Stuff was left behind and sat in basements for decades. A new owner buys the place and clears it all out. That's how I also got my RCA 630TS, Sparton 931 and Philco 15DX.

Anyway, here are some pictures I took. Maybe you guys can solve the puzzle ?

Here's the front of the radio. The escutcheon says C.A. Earl radio, but they only made a few '20s console TRF radios as far as I know

Here's a closeup.

It sure looks like the eye tube is after market.

Here's a closeup of the finish. The wood is in very condition under that flaking finish.

I know I've seen this cloth pattern before somewhere.

Here's the backside where it gets more confusing. Rola speaker with what looks like an RCA chassis to me. The old rubber power cord is in excellent condition.

All the 2.5 volt (57, 58, 55, 2A5) tubes have been replaced with 6.3 volt ones (6C6, 6D6, 78, 42). They're also all RCA tubes. Maybe the power transformer is a replacement ?

I'll pull the chassis and take a closer look.

Last edited by bandersen; 08-12-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: add more pictures
Old 08-10-2010, 11:53 PM
RCA 741PCS

Here's the chassis after a quick cleaning.

Someone probably swapped out a 2.5 VAC tranny for a 6.3 VAC so had to change the tube lineup.

I wonder what those two huge coils are for on the left ? I figured one for the antenna maybe. They do seem to go to a switch so maybe two bands? The dial only has AM on it though.
I think this will be a pain to try to restore without a schematic given all the modifications. Perhaps it'd be best to just replace whatever is there with exactly the same value capacitor.

I think the clincher is only two of the chassis holes line up. The two towards the front and center don't line up with anything.

Whoever cobbled this set together did a good job I must say. Every thing lines up quite nicely with no hacks, shims extra holes etc. The accessory power plug is a nice touch too.

Last edited by bandersen; 08-12-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Curioser 'n' curioser...If only these old sets could "talk"...I bet THAT one has a REAL story to tell...The 2 I've always wondered about are my R-389, & my 1955 contract Collins R-390A...389s are rare in any case, this one had taken a helluva whack on the back, sometime early in its life, & apparently spent most of its life as a "Hangar Queen" someplace...The 390A, genuine Collins-built sets are scarce, you only see them in the 1st early contract numbers, they actually made very few...I bought this one-Stole it, actually- from Phil Sellati, the big dawg at Fair Radio. Sent it to Rick Mish, he told me I had a REAL honey-We figured it might have belonged to some big-shot at Wright-Pat AFB, 'cause Fair got it locally, they told me. It bore no signs of ever having been depot-repaired, all the modules were Collins made, & it has some sort of super-precise VFO-Rick said I didn't have a radio as much as I had a frequency counter. He offered me $5K for it, or 2 of his "Museum-Grade" restorations..I politely demurred. But yeah, if only these old things could talk...
Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

I love a mystery! Like the shelf between the chassis and the speaker: just for stiffening the cabinet? Maybe the "bandswitch" is really for local/distant? Three gang tuning condensor but where's the RF tube on a five tube set? 175Kc IF stamped on one of the xfrmrs.

If you wanted to ditch the tuning eye as not being "authentic" (whoa: what IS authentic on this one?) it would take reveneering the front panel. OTOH somebody "updated" this set so it's part of its history.

I think what I would do first is to trace out the wiring and draw the schematic, see if it makes sense, while getting familiar with it.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.

Last edited by Reece; 08-11-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Someone really built a hot rod radio there. The cabinet is probably a battery farm radio, hence the shelf for the cabinet.

Zenith sometimes used Rola speakers like that (or so I've been told) and that grill cloth is the same as what I've seen on some of my other Zeniths-it's possible this had a reed-type speaker when it was a battery set, which was lost during the AC upgrade.

It's possible this was converted to shortwave operation at some point, and when the maker just decided to log the stations off of the am dial.

The eye tube is also a later addition. Looks like every mod that a kid would make to a table radio circa 1936-8. Looking in depression era magazines, you'll note that almost all of the reader-submitted photographs showing off their dx rigs were almost always lower quality sets that had been modified. This is one such set.
Audiokarma