Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:56 AM
RCA 741PCS

Philco with Beam of Light on craigslist

$20. I wonder if this is worth picking up for the beam of light phonograph
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/atq/1937023404.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3n23o83l75Y55V45U3a9416f2a87b732c1c8e.jpg (7.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 3nf3k13o95O15Q15T2a94d169e024fc0f1dc0.jpg (8.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 09-06-2010, 03:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Oh heck, I would. I don't know how much of a headache it would be to fix one of those, but when will you see another?
Old 09-06-2010, 07:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Agree with AUdubon...tricky to get the pickup working, but the instructions are well laid out on the web. Nobody else on your block (heck: in your county!) will have one.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Oh my. It is well that I do not live in Chicago, for I would surely risk deeply annoying my wife by going after yet one more "large thing for which we have no room." Phonos are my second love (after aforementioned wife.)
Old 09-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Hope I didn't step on anybody's toes. If I could work out shipping with him, I wrote that I will take it. I had that model as a teen ager.
I like the lighted adjustable strobe on turntable.
Yes, it's a nightmare.
Motor is mounted on its' side.
Large beveled disc.
Main wheel rides up, and, down on that to adjust speed.
Small wheel on shaft drives turntable.
Come to think of it, I think it's the motor that moves up, and, down.
Neat mechanism, though I admit tricky.
Plus, look at that hole someone kicked in the side. Ouch!
Bill Cahill
Audiokarma
Old 09-06-2010, 11:29 AM
<----Zenith C845

It looks like the record changer is in bad shape -- the pickup arm looks as if it's been torn off its pivot, the record spindle is bent ... and I don't know what else could be wrong. This unit will need a major overhaul before anyone can even think about using it, with the bad wiring and all (probably rubber-covered wire that's deteriorated with age).

I'd replace the Beam-O-Lite record changer with a modern one, unless you want to preserve the authenticity of this unit. There is a phono preamp tube in the radio/amp chassis (type XXFM) that will have to be removed or bypassed if a modern changer is used; if you leave the preamp in the circuit, the output of any modern cartridge will overdrive the tube many times over, resulting in horrible tone quality.

The Beam-O-Lite pickup was a rather low-output device, hence the need for the preamp. Moreover, it is a single-speed changer (probably 78 RPM), so unless you have a bunch of 78s you'd like to hear again (or transfer to tape), I'd replace the changer with a modern four-speed one, if such can still be found in this age of CDs and mp3s. If you are intent on replacing the Beam-O-Lite changer with an authentic one, however, I'd look for a junker console similar to the one you have and get the changer from it. I don't know how common these combinations are anymore, but you could probably still find one on eBay or even CL if you do some looking. Finding parts for one of these old changers could be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 09-06-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Found a bit of info about the Beam-Of-Light changer here:

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/phono.htm

I have never seen one before. Pretty impressive use of technology for the day... no wonder you guys want one!

jr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg changer.jpg (11.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by jr_tech; 09-06-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: add picture from linked article
Old 09-06-2010, 03:19 PM
RCA 741PCS

Also check out the Ampicokids's demonstration here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMYYGWmTw1c

He also has restored the Mystery Control! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SDWNGrm9Gk

I think I'll have to pass on it, but if I did pick it up I would certainly attempt to restore the changer.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice demos! It looks like a slightly different model changer with a straight spindle and 3 supports to drop the records. Also, there is a second tone arm... was this a disk recorder as well?
jr
Old 09-06-2010, 04:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, that second arm was for recording.

Steve
Audiokarma
Old 09-06-2010, 05:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

That is a 1942 changer. The spindle is supposed to be "bent" that way. When the stack of records are loaded on they sit at a slight angle between the spindle and the sorting mechanism on the left. The tenite cover over the Beam-of-Light assembly might just be loose, the tonearm looks to be mounted properly to me. I would urge anyone who buys this radio to keep the original BOL changer in it.

When I get done working on stuff for other people I have the changer from my 42-1015 to finish restoring. My changer has been modified to move the motor from a horizontally oriented shaft mounting to a vertical mounting with an idler wheel. Because of this the speed adjustment was disabled. I understand that this was a retrofit that Philco offered for these changers but I have not been able to find any documentation on it.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:14 PM
RCA 741PCS

The listing has just been deleted so I guess someone got it.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sean:

The retrofit to which you are refering was Philco's kit number 45-1548 for the 1942 changers. It is listed in the Philco parts and accessories catalogs.

Steve
Old 09-07-2010, 11:47 AM
<----Zenith C845

This console must have been close to top-of-the-line when it was new, with a price tag to match.

I just looked at the Philco Repair Bench article for this and found that the record spindle in fact has a bend near the top, so obviously it was designed this way (as was mentioned). The record changer mechanism is nothing like later three-speed designs, so it must have been one of the first changers to be used in mass-produced combo consoles. Also, I noticed a reference in this thread to a retrofit kit offered by Philco that repositioned the phono motor, and a note that, when the motor was repositioned, the speed controls of the changer were disabled. Was the Beam-of-Light changer originally a two- or three-speed unit, with the turntable speed continuously variable by a mechanical control? If so, I would think this changer also could play 33, 45 and even 16 RPM records, as well as 78s, when the other types of records became available after the war. The tracking force of the Beam of Light pickup arm must have been enormous compared to later four-speed turntables, so modern microgroove records could be damaged or destroyed after one or two plays if played on a BoL changer.

Another question I have concerns the Beam-of-Light pickup itself. While reading the service notes for this unique reproducer, I noticed that the beam from the exciter lamp is supposed to be no wider than 5/32 of an inch. How was the width of the beam determined? I don't know if there were any instruments available in the '40s to measure much below an inch. The only thing I can think of regarding this is that there must have been a special tool (proprietary to Philco and available only to its authorized service centers of the period) that was designed especially to aid the service technician in adjusting the BoL's beam width. I can't imagine anyone being able to adjust the beam by eye and get it even close to the correct width.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

The simple reason for the variable pitch control was because not all records were 78 rpm. There were variables, including 76, 80, and, 90 rpm.
This was not meant for 16 rpm records.
Used a 78 size stylus.
Wasn't the first record changer. Merely the most deluxe, with the first to have variable speed with strobe.
Problem was it was difficult to repair.
Philco didn't want to keep supplying the repair parts when these deluxe machines just didn't sell well due to their price.
Bill Cahill
I never heard from owner.
Audiokarma