Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:57 PM
No time for this hobby

Rca ta 129b

I just picked this up at Goodwill very cheap. I'm a little excited and a little nervous. I am an ametuer at electronics and with my jump in head over heals attitude, I am worried about getting in over my head and have a few questions.
1) This console has 2 turntables and a remote control, the cabinet is in so so shape. Is this anything extremely valuable that I don't want to touch?
2) If not what resources are out there to help me learn what I need to know to get this puppy up and going again?
Any and all input is welcome, I just kinda lucked into this thing and thought it was super cool.

Thank You all for your help!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:11 PM
No time for this hobby

Takin it slow to start, just taking apart the 45 RPM turntable. I figure I will probably have to Recap most of the audio and TV so this will be a good place to start before I get a schematic.. By the way if I am posted in the wrong thread please move it whereever it is appropriate.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:03 PM
No time for this hobby

Maybe I should wait.

OK, there is a rubber spindle at the motor that turns the platter on the turntable. I think it has to be replaced. Everything else on the turntable is mint. So I start looking on the net. WTH the price of these things is crazy!!!! I'm getting cold feet. The small turntable is probably worth close to 10 times what I paid for the whole unit! Happy yet scared. Please don't move my thread because of the talk of $$. Now what?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:12 PM
No time for this hobby

OK, I have been reading posts all over the place and determined the following:
1) If the cabinet was mint this thing would be worth something but it is not.
2) The audio portion of this console may actually be much more sought after than the TV.
3) If I do any of the Television rehab myself, KNOW WHAT I AM DOING, I know the high voltages involved are much different than audio.
I hope to hear from someone sometime, I may have posted in the wrong spot, Its only been a few hours, but I need to write about this kinda stuff. Thats what these places are for right?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 PM
RCA 741PCS

Hi. I suppose you could have posted in the "Early B&W and Projection TV" forum, but here should be fine. I'm surprised no one has chimed in my now.

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with this specific set. Twin turntables you say - interesting

I don't think the condition of the cabinet is that big of a factor - at least not to guys like me that are into restoring stuff. I like them a little beat up - it gives me something to do

I'm not a fan of gutting sets just to sell the audio amps. I'd much rather have a complete set. If I was looking for a tube amp, I'd pull one from a true basket-case beyond repair. My vote is that you restore the entire set.

Yes, there are high voltages present. Any tube gear is going to use several 100 volts. A TV has a circuit inside that black box that kicks in up to around 9,000 volts going to that cap on the picture tube.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 PM
No time for this hobby

Twin Turntables

First off I am not into gutting anything, especially American made anything. Only if I'm going to lose my house and need money that bad! Doing ok now. That's one of those things that disturbs me, On the audio side how many JBL components are now over in Asia, never to be seen by us Americans again? As far as dual turntables I found that very interesting, In 1948 or 1949 RCA came out with the 45 RPM player. This is the same year that 33 1/3 RPM was introduced! To get them both in this unit which I think is a 1951 they used one TT for 78 and 33 and the smaller 45 RPM was seperate but being an RCA invention they wanted it included. This frigin 45 RPM player may be the prize of this thing, the early ones are quite pricey. Back to the console, I was surprised how many bells and whistles are included being 1951. The TV seems quite large for the time, It includes FM which for 1951 I think is quite unusual! As above the double turntables and it also has wired remote control! I am really looking for info in a big way! I still have not found a schematic and I don't want to touch anything without one. (unless it does not exist). Thanx for your comments they are encouraging!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:24 PM
RCA 741PCS

LOL - I didn't mean to accuse you of gutting it

33, 45 and 78 - that's really sweet. I recently picked up a '47 GE combo, but it's only 78.

I believe the TA129 uses TV chassis KCS41A-1. I only have the TV schematic and very basic service info for that.

Looks like Sams 108-10 and 110-11 cover it. You can buy copies here: https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photo...os/1/brand/RCA

According to the Riders index, it's covered in volume 6 pg. 32.

Sorry, I don't have those, but maybe another member does ?

-
Old 05-05-2010, 02:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've seen the dual turntables before - that dates it to right when 45's came out (1950?) you'd see an RCA Victor 45-only player added into the console to supplement the "big" 33/78 turntable. I guess this was a stopgap until manufacturers engineered a player with all three speeds and an adapter for the large center hole.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:43 AM
No time for this hobby

Thanx, I bought 108-10 but if someone has 110-11 I'd be interested. If someone needs 108-10 just message me.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:58 AM
No time for this hobby

Rca rp168b

I've learned that the 45 RPM Player is a RP168B which is one of the first produced, probably late 49 or early 50. They later changed to the RP190 which was not made by RCA and had many more plastic parts. Now if I can get that idler wheel working without shelling out $50 on ebay, at least its available!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Not familiar with that particular idler wheel, but you might be able to repair it cheaply. In a lot of cases an idler wheel is just intermediate between the motor shaft and the inside edge of the turntable. The motor shaft bears on the rubber surface of the wheel, and the wheel on the turntable. If this is so in your set, then the actual diameter of the idler wheel is not important to turntable speed. When the idler wheel has a not-too-thick rubber tire on it that has deteriorated, in some caes you can remove that and find a large O-ring at the hardware store to roll onto the idler wheel, and it will work fine. Some wheels are like a bicycle wheel with a groove so the ring will stay by itself. If not, some super glue would hold it. If it's a really thick (in diameter) tire, maybe not. Worth a look. In any case, the changer needs a lot of good squirts with CRC electronic cleaner (auto parts store) and then light oil and white grease on appropriate parts. Work a little light oil down into the "oil-less" motor bearings. Keep any oil off rubber parts.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:45 PM
No time for this hobby

Now on Bench for some real work

I cleaned up and fixed the LP Player yesterday, a mouse had chewed through the only wires going to it. It was a pretty good sized nest I cleaned out! Not looking good for a working TV . Today is a new day! I pulled the TV and got it to the bench. Started cleaning it up and compared to some of the others I have seen here this thing is clean Cleaned the top a little to keep me in good spirits. I am just dreading the order for the Capacitors. I also am nervous about getting the tubes and picture tube tested. I have already figured on buying a 16GF4 if I can find one. I am also considering buying testing equipment to avoid driving way to far to use a buddys. If you can message me if you have a source for either that would be very appreciated. Pictures to follow later when I am finished for the day.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:42 AM
No time for this hobby

OK, here are some pictures. I also noticed I wrote 16GF4 for the picture tube. It should be 16GP4! I think I better be more careful! I probably won't be posting near as much until I finish the recap unless I run into problems or someone has some questions. That part should be pretty strait forward. Once that is complete though and I have checked resistors, I'll probably hang out here a while to pick some brains before I power up!

[IMG]i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad43/pugs5061/Audio2/Spring2010157.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-07-2010, 10:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

I see what you mean about the aquadag coming off the CRT.

Looks like you have quite a gem there. "2 turntables and a microphone", lol...

Have fun recapping and hopefully you'll have some pictures of it working soon!
Old 05-07-2010, 01:49 PM
RCA 741PCS

That doesn't look too bad. I use a soft brush and a can of compressed air to clean out the high voltage area. They tend to attract loads of dust.

The flaking aquadag might not be a big deal because it appears to have a doorknob filter cap on the HV.

I just noticed you're in Barrington, that's not too far from me (downtown Chicago). If you need to borrow some equipment or tools, I might be able to help you out.