Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-28-2023, 12:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

1980 RCA ColorTrak CTC92 25" console (model GD716T)

The other day, someone I know messaged me and wanted to know if I wanted a 1980s RCA console. I had visions of another CTC149 Thomson-era set from 1988, but I told him I'd take it and he said he'd bring it to me this weekend.

He brought it today and it's from 1980, with a CTC92 modular chassis, delta-gun CRT, and a keypad non-remote tuner. I think the CTC92 was the last modular chassis for RCA and 1980 was the last year for a delta-gun tube (for RCA and pretty much anyone else).

The set looks like it was well cared for and the chassis is not an ashtray. The CRT looks strong, and the biggest problems I see are severely dirty pots and a dirty keypad (select "03" and it actually goes to "02", etc.). Also, the greyscale and convergence will need a minor touch-up.

Although not as well-built as the upright XL100 modular chassis, these are still not bad sets and I think the delta-gun RCAs have a better picture than the slightly newer inline-gun models.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCA 001 (400x278).jpg (89.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg RCA 002 (400x330).jpg (123.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg RCA 003 (393x400).jpg (115.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 08-28-2023, 09:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

That series was decent. They eventually made that same basic design into a non-modular the following year.

The only thing quirky about that chassis (going on memory) was the LV regulator. They had a very small regulator module tucked on the right side rear (not seen in your pic) that was troublesome. I never repaired that module because it was like $12 back when so they weren't worth figuring out, but I changed an awful lot of those little buggers. We kept them several deep on the shelf.

John