Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Early '70's Maestro record changer

Someone recently gave me an Olympic (looks like a rebadged Electrophonic) radio/8-track stereo receiver and the matching record changer that's housed in a plastic base. The stereo is one of those with separate L and R slider volume controls, as well as a sliding tone control.

This changer looks basically the same as what Magnavox used in some of their models, during the early '70's. From everything I'm hearing and reading, these changers were a piece of junk (it looks like a piece of junk) and it cost Magnavox dearly in warranty repairs and changer replacements.

Up until I got this stereo, I'd only seen this changer in Magnavox products; but, it was obviously used by other firms.

This one only plays 12" 33 1/3 rpm records and 45 rpm 7" records with a large center hole. Speed selection and size are automatic. You're out of luck if you wish to play a 12" 45 rpm record or a 45 rpm record with a small center hole.

Looking at the underside of the changer, it's branded "Maestro" with an Alliance motor that's dated October, 1971.

At first, the changer didn't want to go to the 45 rpm setting; but, today, it seemed to work OK in that regard. The cartridge looks to be a Varco TN4 and the suspension has fallen apart. I'll probably replace it with a modern "crosley cartridge", since they are cheaper and I won't need a flip needle for 78 rpm.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

The cheap & nasty Magnavox changers, I saw were British built and used push buttons for on-off-rej, but the operation was similar.
The Maestro changers, I saw were metal and had a slide lever for speed and function. Several companies used them, usually in their lower-end products, including Motorola.
The BSR was a Lexus, compared to those.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Motorola Minion

Looks like a design ripoff of V-M
Old 06-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

The last such changer I saw was in a Sentinel brand console. Which was 1974-1975 vintage. Looked itself to be Magnavox made (could Sentinel have been a cheap line sold in some markets?)
Old 06-12-2015, 09:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

I didn't know that the Sentinel name was being used that late; but, it was probably a case of someone buying the rights to the name. A while back, I had a Howard-branded cheap console from 1970. The EIA number traced back to Muntz, the chassis was cheap Japanese junk and the changer was a low end Admiral Ensign.
Audiokarma
Old 06-12-2015, 12:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think a lot of importers and japanese manufacturers bought up trade names back then, so products could be sold in the USa with a more familiar sounding name on them. My family had a mid 80s Dumont TV. And I've seen the Webcor name on cheap 70s imports also. USA companies did it too, buying a brand name cheaply when a company went under, then marketing imports under that name.
and if they didnt buy an established brand, they made one up or copied one. I have a "Deville" and a "Commodore" radios from Japan.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:16 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

The console I saw was not a import model. It was USA made, and reeked highly of Magnavox. Found it was Magnavox and they made a few of these for select markets where their dealers needed a cheap console to sell in low income markets, and maintain market share. It was made in 1974-1975, and used leftover low end console parts. A friend who worked for Magnavox let me in on this. This was a way for Magnavox to use leftover parts and stay competitive. The changers were warranty rebuilds or leftover as needed.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
I think a lot of importers and japanese manufacturers bought up trade names back then, so products could be sold in the USa with a more familiar sounding name on them. My family had a mid 80s Dumont TV. And I've seen the Webcor name on cheap 70s imports also. USA companies did it too, buying a brand name cheaply when a company went under, then marketing imports under that name.
and if they didnt buy an established brand, they made one up or copied one. I have a "Deville" and a "Commodore" radios from Japan.
The thrift shop has a dehumidifier with the "Capehart" brand name on it. It has to be several years old, as it's still USA made.
I also saw Capehart TV's, that were rebadged Zeniths.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:59 PM
Motorola Minion

I worked on a dreadful 70s "Capehart" console stereo, then later worked on a British-made Capehart, both without success. To think Farnsworth of Ft.Wayne had this name originally and then where it went is sad.

Was Morse Electrophonic ever applied to anything of quality?
Old 06-20-2015, 11:06 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Not really, it was low end goods.
Audiokarma
Old 06-21-2015, 12:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

They were not called "Junkaphonic" for nothing.