Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Monticlair console stereo

I recently brought home this Monticlair (rebadged Soundesign and sold by Otasco stores) console radio, 8-track tape, and phonograph from the mid-to-late '70's. Electronically, the record changer was frozen (no surprise), the pots were dirty, and the right channel speaker was blown. The unit does not sound bad, for what it is. However, the construction quality could be better. The cabinet is mainly held together with glue and staples. Even the speakers are stapled to the cabinet.

Currently, I have the BSR record changer apart on the bench so that I can clean and relubricate it. Once I get it going, I might try to find it a home. As cheap as it is, it's still better than a current Crosley and it would make someone a reasonalbe unit for playing their old records and 8-track tapes. I've also seen this same chassis used in Truetone, Soundesign, and other store brands.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Stapled in speaker! That a new one on me!
I've seen speakers glued in. Maybe, they stapled the speaker in, while the glue set up.
I used to think that some of the so-called hi-fi's and stereo's that used a simple AA5 radio chassis or a simple three tube hot chassis amplifier was bad, but they were audiophile quality, compared to these offerings.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have an Olympic console that meets that description. It's a 6' long tube set with a single 50EH5 tube driving a 12" speaker. It's not in the best cosmetic shape and normally, I'd scrap it for parts; but, it belonged to an elderly couple who were special to me and they always wanted me to have it. So, it will be restored one day.

I have the Soundesign all fixed up and ready to go. It sounds OK for what it is; but, the construction quality could be better.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

I never thought Soundesign was that bad. Yes they were cheap, but probably the best of the no name junk brands IMO. That speaker is hilarious.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Some of these cheap consoles only had 5" or 6" speakers in them (a while backe, I junked a Lloyd's that fit that description). I also remember the late '70's Sears console that literally fell apart as I was moving it.
Audiokarma